Author Topic: Bee Gees pop-art special  (Read 235 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Bee Gees pop-art special
« on: May 29, 2017, 03:53:08 PM »
If you've got a spare hour, you could do worse than watching this german 1968 TV special devoted to the then latest Bee Gees LP Idea, a peak in the Gibb's brothers psych-pop period.

The show itself Is a true visual feast for pop-art graphics' aficionados, as the mind-blowing production sets were comissioned to belgian artist Guy Pellaaert, then in vogue with his ground-breaking underground comic books "Jodelle" (I posted something about it in another thread) and "Pravda". Oh, and special guests are Julie Driscoll & Brian Auger's Trinity, what's not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Vx6JOifyU

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Bee Gees pop-art special
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »
Will have a look mate. The Bee Gees did some great stuff throughout their career but this period was top notch. Love a song called Harry Braff BTW from that era.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 06:02:06 PM »
If you've got a spare hour, you could do worse than watching this german 1968 TV special devoted to the then latest Bee Gees LP Idea, a peak in the Gibb's brothers psych-pop period.

The show itself Is a true visual feast for pop-art graphics' aficionados, as the mind-blowing production sets were comissioned to belgian artist Guy Pellaaert, then in vogue with his ground-breaking underground comic books "Jodelle" (I posted something about it in another thread) and "Pravda". Oh, and special guests are Julie Driscoll & Brian Auger's Trinity, what's not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Vx6JOifyU

Another interesting find , Sydney . Sometimes I think you and the Doc keep the whole thing going. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 09:58:41 PM »
Blimey the Driscoll/Auger stuff is off the charts great isn't it mate. HARRY BRAFF is in it too at 38.18. Maurice' bass is very McCartney I think.  I've seen this promo film before but never as part of the whole 'special' great to see mate. Thanks for this class heads up!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:00:53 PM by Martin G »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »
Blimey the Driscoll/Auger stuff is off the charts great isn't it mate. HARRY BRAFF is in it too at 38.18. Maurice' bass is very McCartney I think.  I've seen this promo film before but never as part of the whole 'special' great to see mate. Thanks for this class heads up!

Cheers, Martin & Simon. The american reissue of Pellaaert's book Adventures of Jodelle was what put me on the track of the Idea special. Couldn't find it in DVD, but the whole show is in You Tube, with a decent image and sound quality.

Martin, I think Maurice Gibb is a very underrated musician, lots of 1967-69 songs from the band benefit hugely from his arrangements and playing and he's a hell of a bass player (yes, McCartney comes to mind). Hey, and Harry Braff is really a great song!  8)