Author Topic: Fame... again  (Read 220 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Fame... again
« on: May 31, 2017, 09:47:03 AM »
I'm ambivalent about this one. We, Georgie Fame fans, have progressed lately from utter starvation (with few reissues in the market and his key LPs available only as expensive japanese imports) to an embarrassment of riches, with no less than two comprehensive box sets in just two years and the reissue of the first albums plus every conceivable bonus track.

It's true that his CBS years have been somehow neglected in this GF craze, but BGO reissued years ago his 67-68 LPs and and some comps have covered pretty well that period. Anyway, in a milking-the-cow kind of move, Cherry Red is about to reissue once again his best CBS Lp, Two faces of fame, in a deluxe double CD package that includes, or so they promise, stereo and mono mixes of the album and EVERY song he recorded during 1967. I'm still making my mind up as to pull the trigger, mainly for some -few- interesting bonus tracks I haven't heard. If you're in doubt like me, check out the tracklisting in the Cherry Red page.

Monkey

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Picks
Re: Fame... again
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:07:42 PM »
Very much my feelings too. It's not a great (or even particularly good) album to begin with and I'm not one for pouring over stereo vs mono debates. Suppose it'll depend on the price of Fame...
The same few words in a different order can be found at http://www.monkeypicks.co.uk Latest Posts: The Redskins, Wireless Show, The Action's Rolled Gold by Sidewalk Society reviewed.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Fame... again
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »
Suppose it'll depend on the price of Fame...
;D

While The two faces... isn't anywhere near the first 4 albums in quality terms, I think it deserves reappraisal. What about gems as El Pussy Cat, Greenback dollar bill, River's invitation or Keep you big mouth shut? The jazz vs pop vibe and the awkward live/studio setting damage the outcome, but songs' selection is impeccable and Fame himself is in top vocal form. Things would get muuuch worse with The third face of fame.