Author Topic: Favourite ever Mod clubs - past and present.  (Read 4857 times)

Uglybugly

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite ever Mod clubs - past and present.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »
Early 80s - Le Beat Route, Jean Pierres, Notre Dame

Mid 80s - Sneakers, The Phoenix, Metropolitan, Ben Truman, The Outrigger, Coventry All-nighters.

Now - Hip City, Sidewinder.

Japanese Moles

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 01:37:38 PM »
I went to The Boiler Club in Barcelona a couple of weeks ago, and it was one of the best club nights I've been to. The music was fantastic, the people were friendly and the atmosphere was amazing. There were 6 of us there from England & we had a great time.
Well worth checking out if you get the chance.

Smiler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »

Mid 80s - Sneakers, The Phoenix, Metropolitan, Ben Truman, The Outrigger, Coventry All-nighters.

The Ben Truman was horrible as a club! It was a bloody dungeon with a cobbled floor that was s**te for dancing. It was a great meeting place, top sounds, and sussed Modybodies but it would never make my top club list.

Henke

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 01:12:45 PM »
Only managed a couple of Pow Wow nights,but they blew me away.
Early days Brighton beach (small room) in Leeds was outstanding and our own wee club(Friday Street) has been pretty good over the years even if i do say so myself:-)

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 09:38:41 PM »
Being based in Scotland for so long, Friday Street and Basics would get my vote.

Looking forward to exploring new clubs in London though!

JTH

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »

No Mud Club or Dirtbox Ann?

In the 2000s I liked Shake.

Uglybugly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 10:15:33 PM »

No Mud Club or Dirtbox Ann?

In the 2000s I liked Shake.

;D

Mid-late 80s - Astoria, Mud, Wag. Assorted warehouses but too dark/ too off my face to remember names or where they were  ;)

Uglybugly

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 10:21:13 PM »

The Ben Truman was horrible as a club! It was a bloody dungeon with a cobbled floor that was s**te for dancing. It was a great meeting place, top sounds, and sussed Modybodies but it would never make my top club list.

But its subjective though isn't it Smiler?

Those clubs were top for me, not because of the venue, or what the dancefloor was like, but the memories they evoke. The people that were there, the laughs that were had, the music that was listened to. Some on here say the 100 Club, its a great music venue, full of history - but my memories are of a sweatbox at an all nighter with bad northern soul music, wondering how long I had to wait until the first train.

Different strokes for different folks :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:23:09 PM by Uglybugly »

Razors

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »
Being a midlands lad it's got to be the outrigger & the royal george in Birmingham.
Pow-wow from a few years ago.
The last year has seen a significant increase in activity on the Nottingham Mod scene, with a different night on every saturday now. The best of the bunch has got to be chitlin circuit.
Used to attend Sneakers occaisionally when in the smoke on record/clothes buying trips. Nobody would speak to us cause we were 'tourists' from out in the sticks.
Stylistically, they drew inspiration from the sleek, sharp and minimal suit favoured by the avant-garde musicians of the East Coast jazz movement. Philosophically, early Mods saw themselves as ‘citizens of the world’, a world in which it only mattered where you were going, not where you came from

BKP69

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 05:47:04 PM »
Saturday lunchtime sessions at the Outrigger illicit pints and rude boy fights on the way back to Ryans cafe.

Sinatra's Tuesday nights and sat dinner times.

The Royal George Friday/Saturday nights

The Mildmay Tavern in London town
I went to the Kings Arms in Reading twice on Sunday nights and loved it
In fact I don't think I ever went to a mod club where I didn't get something out of if I'm honest but my favourite nights were the Collibosher S.C nights but that maybe because I either DJ'ed or helped to organise most of them.
not only are you wrong, you are wrong at the top of your voice