Author Topic: Favourite ever Mod clubs - past and present.  (Read 4540 times)

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite ever Mod clubs - past and present.
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 06:08:32 PM »
I can't remember the name of it, but there was a top place above the Royal Pavilion Tavern pub in Brighton on a Saturday night. Only went a couple of times in 2003 but it was first rate. Tiny venue with great tunes.

Smiler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 11:56:55 AM »
Saturday lunchtime sessions at the Outrigger illicit pints and rude boy fights on the way back to Ryans cafe.

Sinatra's Tuesday nights and sat dinner times.

The Royal George Friday/Saturday nights

The Mildmay Tavern in London town
I went to the Kings Arms in Reading twice on Sunday nights and loved it
In fact I don't think I ever went to a mod club where I didn't get something out of if I'm honest but my favourite nights were the Collibosher S.C nights but that maybe because I either DJ'ed or helped to organise most of them.

Kings Tavern I believe mate!    ;)

BKP69

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 12:37:59 AM »
Saturday lunchtime sessions at the Outrigger illicit pints and rude boy fights on the way back to Ryans cafe.

Sinatra's Tuesday nights and sat dinner times.

The Royal George Friday/Saturday nights

The Mildmay Tavern in London town
I went to the Kings Arms in Reading twice on Sunday nights and loved it
In fact I don't think I ever went to a mod club where I didn't get something out of if I'm honest but my favourite nights were the Collibosher S.C nights but that maybe because I either DJ'ed or helped to organise most of them.

Kings Tavern I believe mate!    ;)
you could be right our kid but age is catching up with me  ;)........reaches for coat
not only are you wrong, you are wrong at the top of your voice

monday

• Just joined since 1962
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 06:53:14 AM »
In the late 70s early 80s not so much a club although we did have membership cards was the Mildmay Tavern.Alas no longer a pub,not sure what it is now
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:55:20 AM by monday »
Its in the blood.

Mo

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »
Definitely Sneakers at the Bush and maybe the Phoenix. Often went to the Royal Oak ,Tooley St but no great shakes really. It was ok.
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

Mo

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
In the late 70s early 80s not so much a club although we did have membership cards was the Mildmay Tavern.Alas no longer a pub,not sure what it is now
Used to go there myself. One of the doormen wa old man Sean. Went back into the skin/suedehead thing eventually.

SeosaimhM

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Joe Blogs
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 07:38:22 PM »
when i lived in london it was sneakers for the most part mixed in with northern clubs. Lots of little pokey nights upstairs in pubs (always seemed to be an upstairs room :) ) that i cannot remember. Lots of good clubs over here in Ireland over the years. Dublin and Belfast being the focui but other cities had some cracking nights on. Cork had a good scene (phil hope still flies the flag down there with his under a Plastic cloud) and the Limerick and Galway boys are still going strong.

thinking back to London in the 8ts i remember one night i wandered into the royal oak tooley street (i lived at the bottom of Tower bridge at the time so this was on my way home from work) to a 'soul' night that turned out to be a hip-hop/rap night. Me - fresh faced 9 stone paddy - and a room full of South London hipphopers...had a drink and by jaysus it was the longest pint of my life...couldnt just swallow it and leg it...ah no...big billy bollix here had to act like it was no hassle.... got loads of stink eye but managed to finish up, thanked the barman and sauntered out the door and off down the street s**tting in my cacks....
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:39:55 PM by SeosaimhM »
Joe Blogs music reviews http://seosaimhm.blogspot.com | Sussed - A users guide to Modernism http://www.facebook.com/susseddublin | t: @Sussed_Mag Issuu: https://issuu.com/sussed/docs

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 12:38:14 PM »
I still have very fond memories of the early South London Tony and Rob Class nights in '79/80  in pubs such as The Hercules (Lambeth), The Walmer Castle (Peckham), The Thomas A Beckett (Old Kent Road), and The Fort (Bermondsey) Despite some horrific aggro from local Millwall 'casuals', one time even ending in the death of a young Mod scooterist, I look back fondly to those days. Funny thing was that as a local lad I used those pubs with my other non Mod pals although dressing in standard Fred Perry or Desert boots and Harrington as opposed to a suit, Parka or whatever and enjoyed some great nights in them too chasing girls and such like. The Royal Oak was one we used a great deal but by about '83/84 I'd finished using them because the violence whether on a casual or Mod night was just getting out of hand.

Mo

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 03:00:43 PM »
Also comes to mind was upstairs at a pub very close to the Euston tower. Forgot its name now. Was pretty good. Went to odd night at the Lilliput in Bermondsey.

Bill The Pill

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 05:42:16 AM »
Cheekee Petes,The Phoenix, The Albany,Sols Arms,White Hart Southall,Bush Hotel,Adam + Eve,Le Beat Route,Whisky a-go-go but plenty of other short lived great nights.