Author Topic: Lambretta Vendetta  (Read 866 times)

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
Lambretta Vendetta
« on: June 11, 2017, 12:52:03 AM »
I saw the countdown was pushed back to June, then on the website the countdown went to zero then started counting up again!

Eventually pictures were posted but scant other information. Can't tell if the panels are metal or plastic. Looks much better than the LNs that came out a few years ago. Front forks look very weedy and they've missed a trick by repurposing the 'Special' leg shield badge but not doing SX style panels which the new Scomadi TTs have. May be a case of too little too late. Also my beef with all these 'new classic' scoots is that the entire purpose of side panels is to cover up the engine, yet they all are cut so short that the engine casing is fully exposed beneath.

Any opinions from the scooter riding MC readers? I keep getting told to get a Vespa PX. Lambrettas are very thin on the ground here in America and I'm not a peteolhead so really can't be arsed with fifty year old two stroke carburetor kick start technology so would love one of the modern classics to work out.

Essexmark

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Lambretta Vendetta
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 07:34:50 AM »
The only opinion I can give Rod is around the style of the thing. Personally I think they have missed a trick. I understand environmentally 2 stroke engines need to go, but it doesn't mean style has to. Over the years I have seen lots of trick series 2 and series 3 Lambretta frames engineered to take a 4 stroke auto or m/c engine. They have the style of the original scoot with modern technology. Scomadi do this but don't have the Lambretta heritage. The danger is we fall into the trap that old/classic is best but in my view should have looked at their heritage/style and combined it with a modern engine, not made it look like just another auto...

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »
They made the PX for about 40 years I think with very little change.  There is a good reason they did this.  It was a brilliant and reliable design.  I ride a lot of things and I also have an early MK1 PX150, 1981 I think.  It is unbelievably reliable. I can leave it for 6 months and it still starts first or second kick.  I will say that it is completely standard from factory and the early MK1 was a particularly good era for the PX I'm told. Workhorse of Europe and good for the shopping too.

Col Wolfe

• East Anglia
    • View Profile
    • >>> Spoke Records <<<
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »
Agree with Adam.  For those not technically minded, a P-range is the way to go.

I don't understand why people are happy buying something which is pretending to be something else.  If you want a plastic auto, just get a plastic auto!

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »
I got a PX last year and the main reason was that I am not technically minded at all and don't have the inclination to be messing about trying to keep an old scooter running. I've had no complaints with the PX so far.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
They made the PX for about 40 years I think with very little change.  There is a good reason they did this.  It was a brilliant and reliable design.  I ride a lot of things and I also have an early MK1 PX150, 1981 I think.  It is unbelievably reliable. I can leave it for 6 months and it still starts first or second kick.  I will say that it is completely standard from factory and the early MK1 was a particularly good era for the PX I'm told. Workhorse of Europe and good for the shopping too.

I had an 1980 PX which was very reliable until I decided to modify it. .My mate had a PX 150 that he left for about six months but due to the climate up here , the piston rings had stuck to the barrel and my mate nearly broke his leg when he tried to kick it. . :D I squirted some 2T down the barrel and tapped the piston with a hide-faced mallet and then we were in business again. . 8)
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 08:04:18 AM »
Those new Lambrettas look hideous, in my opinion. I'm firmly in the original/vintage is best camp where scooters are concerned, and I'd echo what CW said re buying something that looks like something else but isn't. Go get a P-range Vespa and you'll be scootering (barring a catastrophe) until someone has to lift you onto the thing!!
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 03:21:18 PM »
Those Lambretta twist n go's from a few years ago never caught on with anyone did they?

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 04:31:56 PM »
After all the PX chat I must admit that I have heard reasonable reports about the Scomadi and excellent things about the Vespa GTS but still the PX is best choice as a true classic.
Meanwhile I am about to shoehorn a modern vespa 125 engine (auto) into a 1952 Lambretta LD ( very early French one) .  Should be a laugh, don't tell the purists. Photo later in the year if it works out.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »
After all the PX chat I must admit that I have heard reasonable reports about the Scomadi and excellent things about the Vespa GTS but still the PX is best choice as a true classic.
Meanwhile I am about to shoehorn a modern vespa 125 engine (auto) into a 1952 Lambretta LD ( very early French one) .  Should be a laugh, don't tell the purists. Photo later in the year if it works out.

Sounds interesting Adam . .it must be some size of shoehorn right enough. . :)

Look forward to seeing the photos when complete. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!