Author Topic: Quadrophenia - the sequel  (Read 459 times)

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
Quadrophenia - the sequel
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:07:57 PM »
So I'm wasting time avoiding work and I see this link from the UK mod scene facebook group:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/british-mod-movie-quadrophenia-sequel-8066214.amp

Anyone know anything more?
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Quadrophenia - the sequel
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »
From the article it doesn't seem clear if the intention of the filmakers is to update the movie, ie, "Teenage mods are back in the 21th century!" (as if they're ever gone), or a look at how the Quadrophenia characters are doing nowadays (Trainspotting 2 style, I guess), or -even worse- a hybrid of both storylines.

The main question should be: Is a Quadrophenia sequel really necessary?

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
I vaguely know Mark Wingett who played Dave in the original. When we last spoke this announcement was quite new in the media. At the time he said it was meant to be about three or four of the original gang 30 years down the line and that it would be set in the '90s. A comedy/caper/heist-type thing but that it was very early days in the planning. To be honest as he was telling me I struggled not to wince as it all sounded pretty dreadful. A year down the line it looks like it is still in 'Development Hell' as they say in the industry and perhaps thankfully so. Mark is a decent fella though and happy chats to anyone interested in the film if he is ever asked.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:57:19 PM »
I'm with Martin on this, have seen a few stills and read a couple of pieces regarding it. Anyone hoping for another Quadrophenia is likely to be disappointed. Sounds turgid, to be honest. Leave well alone is my view
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

banjo

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:48:53 AM »
The question should be 'why bother'? It gets mentioned that a sequel should be made but to be honest do we really care what happened to Jimmy after the closing credits?
The film is far from perfect but I have great memories of watching it at the cinema, on vhs and even DVD!
The film is of its time, brilliant in places, terrible in other places but I don't know many people who haven't seen it and some became Mods after seeing it.
Jimmy buggered off and got on with his life when the film finishes and I really have no interest in what he or the other characters did afterwards.
Also, this sequel smacks of  desperation by some actors who've not been in the limelight for a while.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
All comments spot on guys. I have an immense soft spot for the film and watch it a few times a year I guess. (As I do with a variety of other films I love. ENTER THE DRAGON, ANIMAL HOUSE, SOME LIKE IT HOT, STAR WARS, JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS,GOLDFINGER, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT to name but a few). But as noted I don't care what Jimmy's story was after he walked back up those hills above the cliffs. It is a perfectly rounded film and feel it best left alone. The stage version of QUADROPHENIA that Pete himself was involved with ten or so years back was lavishly staged but not great as far as I'm concerned I really do feel it best left alone. Celebrate the original film and album no problem with concerts, events, screenings or re-releases with extra features or whatever but I see no point in them going back to it either as a remake or update.

Diabolik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »
Surely what happened to Jimmy was that he ended up as a drug dealer in "The Long Firm".

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 03:40:47 PM »
Yes mate! Top episode that was and indeed a fine series.

banjo

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 05:17:58 PM »
The other aspect of this film is that it's become iconic and is now so heavily ingrained into popular culture I don't think any sequel, no matter how brilliant, would work.
Jimmy walked away and that's it.
I listened to Flowered Up's Weekender (one for the ex ravers amongst us) the other day  and that uses Quadrophenia dialogue from the film.
It's hard to think of any other British film dialogue that would be used in such a way.
I think it was at a Flowered Up gig when  the lead singer fell off the stage and busted his leg!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 12:09:54 PM »
Not familiar with the band mate but as you say the film itself is iconic and for that alone needs to be swerved as a remake, update or whatever. BTW Martin did you see the film when it came out? I saw it a few times including the opening night up in London. Not the premiere but the first night the public could go. I was a 15 year old young Mod but with my Uncle a burly 6 ft Ex original so no problems at all. A few weeks later I went to see it again at the Elephant, I think the ABC, only to be confronted by three or four local biker types who happened to live down my mates road by East Lane. This time it was just me and a mate and we got a bit of verbal going in and chased down the road coming out. Happy days! (Not)