Author Topic: Quadrophenia - the sequel  (Read 624 times)

banjo

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Quadrophenia - the sequel
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 12:28:42 PM »
Martin G. I was too young to get in as I was 14 but no one would have taken me.
I don't think I saw it until about 1981 in a cinema Up West.
Flowered Up were London's answer to the Happy Monday's but whereas the Mondays functioned reasonable well on drugs for a while, Flowered Up couldn't.
They fell apart quickly but left behind a legacy of stories.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »
Thanks for the background to the band. Interesting stuff. Yeah sometimes that odd year or so in your mid teens means you getting in to a pub, gig or X film or not doesn't it. Like I say first time I was with my Uncle too and it was so busy the ushers were simply waving people into their seats to clear the foyer. The pictures at The Elephant like those in Peckham, Brixton and Camberwell were all down on their luck at that time and seemingly as long as you looked halfway old enough you'd get in. Same sort of time I was going to The Wellington and gigs as well and publicans and venue owners just wanted people through the door. As long as you played the game and didn't start any bother they turned a blind eye to under age lads coming through the doors because the places got packed out.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 03:09:02 PM »
It was the same permissive attitude in my neck of the woods. I remember watching Quadrophenia in a double feature beat-up theatre, it must have been 1981. Obviously I don't recall the accompanying movie  8), don't think I even watched it. The same happened with softcore movies: lots of underage kids and a couple of dirty old men as the only patrons  ;D. Oh, and most bars (not so much with clubs) served alcohol to teenagers.

Oddly, now age control's been reinforced here in pubs, bars and tobacco stores, but cinemas are another thing altogether, nothing (except hardcore movies, of course, which you can access too easily through internet) seems forbidden nowadays, just recommendations. I mean, my 12 years old kid could watch any movie he fancied, if we'd allowed him to, that is.

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 06:40:36 PM »
The other aspect of this film is that it's become iconic and is now so heavily ingrained into popular culture I don't think any sequel, no matter how brilliant, would work.
Jimmy walked away and that's it.
I listened to Flowered Up's Weekender (one for the ex ravers amongst us) the other day  and that uses Quadrophenia dialogue from the film.
It's hard to think of any other British film dialogue that would be used in such a way.
I think it was at a Flowered Up gig when  the lead singer fell off the stage and busted his leg!

My mate was a roadie for Flowered Up, it was one of his first jobs out of school aged about 18   ;) They were on tour at the time with The Farm, whose manager was Suggs. If I recall rightly a couple of the band had been revival Mods or rude boys. The singer ended up dying young, of a drugs overdose.

Another iconic British film that has sampled dialogue is PERFORMANCE; which of course has one or two actors who would appear in QUADROPHENIA in it -' E=MC2' by Big Audio Dynamite and 'Mad Cyril' by the aforementioned Happy Mondays.

Regarding the QUADROPHENIA remake it sounds horrendous  ;D.  I was too young to see it when it was released but first saw it perhaps around 1981/1982 on TV, I would have been about ten or eleven and it made a great impression, as of course it did with many others of a similar age at the time.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:10:46 PM by Number 6 »