Author Topic: Prestige records  (Read 143 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Prestige records
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »
Now this is good news for those who like 50s-60s east coast jazz. Tad Richards is an american writer who obviously does, and besides he happens to know a lot about it. Some years ago he handled the huge task of compiling his reviews of every album published by mighty label Prestige records throughout their history.

First he posted them in his blogspot (Opus 40), but later, as he went along, he got published the reference book "Listening to Prestige Records, vol. 1 1949-53". Not just a dry discography, but a highly readable entertaining and informative essay about the core of be-bop and hard bop NY musicians and their first vinyl output. I passed on it and instead continued reading the blogspot reviews, as I was really more interested in Prestige records from mid-fifties on. But he promised to issue more volumes...

And now the second book has appeared (1953-56) and at just 11 pounds I just coudn't pass on it (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Listening-Prestige-Vol-1954-56-Richards/dp/1548300489/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1504102442&sr=1-2&keywords=listening+to+prestige+records). Being a period and a label that haven't been particularly well documented in printed words this could be the jazz book of the year. Now I just hope he keeps the effort with a third volume that covers the soul jazz era (the blogspot has reached 1958 already). Fingers crossed!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Prestige records
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »
Now this is good news for those who like 50s-60s east coast jazz. Tad Richards is an american writer who obviously does, and besides he happens to know a lot about it. Some years ago he handled the huge task of compiling his reviews of every album published by mighty label Prestige records throughout their history.

First he posted them in his blogspot (Opus 40), but later, as he went along, he got published the reference book "Listening to Prestige Records, vol. 1 1949-53". Not just a dry discography, but a highly readable entertaining and informative essay about the core of be-bop and hard bop NY musicians and their first vinyl output. I passed on it and instead continued reading the blogspot reviews, as I was really more interested in Prestige records from mid-fifties on. But he promised to issue more volumes...

And now the second book has appeared (1953-56) and at just 11 pounds I just coudn't pass on it (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Listening-Prestige-Vol-1954-56-Richards/dp/1548300489/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1504102442&sr=1-2&keywords=listening+to+prestige+records). Being a period and a label that haven't been particularly well documented in printed words this could be the jazz book of the year. Now I just hope he keeps the effort with a third volume that covers the soul jazz era (the blogspot has reached 1958 already). Fingers crossed!

Update: midway through the book, it's even better than expected, in spite of some printing errors (it's a cheap edition, after all). Delightful reading and highly recommended if you're into 50s modern jazz. Some amusing stories I didn't know, like the quarrel between Miles Davis and Monk while recording a joint session.