Author Topic: Varsity sweaters  (Read 793 times)

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Varsity sweaters
« on: September 05, 2017, 08:13:33 PM »
Maybe it's the colder weather today but I'm definitely thinking about layers...

Anyone else a fan of varsity sweaters?

Vintage ones can be hard to come by, but this manufacturer in the States looks fairly classic:

https://www.hillflint.com/new?offset=0&limit=100

Any other outlets people could recommend?

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Varsity sweaters
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 02:39:50 AM »
I do like the Letterman sweaters, especially if it's my initial. You can buy the lettering from suppliers and make your own if you're feeling crafty.
Initials B.B.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:31:00 AM »
Nah not for me. I very rarely do knitwear of any kind but would prefer a FP style v neck or a cricket / tennis sweater.

These varsity sweaters are too reminiscent of fifties nerds rather than sixties stylists to me. Don't you remember Grease and Happy Days?

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:14:43 AM »
I'm with Rod on these, too reminscent of Richie, Chachi and Ralph etc. But each to their own, of course, one man's meat......
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »
Kind of like them for very informal settings, ie knocking about at home, taking a walk and the like... Some of the Hillflints look nice.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »
Certainly for me I think '50s' when I see these sort of things. Obviously many Carnaby St outlets and bands of the 1960s wore or sold US college tops and sweat shirts that appealed to some of the 'Mod Crowd' but these specific ones do look a bit more 50s to me. Obviously the whole Ivy-vibe takes in an element of this sort of stuff but I'd personally give it a swerve. Interesting though seeing other guys take on things and if you like it mate go for it. It does open up the whole "What clothes are 'Mod'?" in the same way as the "What music is 'Mod'?" or "What haircut is 'Mod'?". Personally I don't subscribe to the whole "Mod is about moving forward and evolving" ethic because I am interested in a specific period of time and the music, clothes, film, telly and other trappings of that given period. I make no bones about it. However there are things that fall outside of this era that I like regardless but feel no need to somehow shoe-horn them under the 'Mod Umbrella' just to somehow legitimise my liking it as many do.

claudio

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Dna Manifattura Italiana
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 03:24:06 PM »
Love them, not these particularly as these are just modern versions of the originals. Especially do not like how the letters are knitted along with the sweater rather than getting the proper felt letters and have them stitched on them as they did back then (As Brian said, buy the letters and stitch them on).

Of course Letterman sweaters have been around since the 30's (?) and well into the 70's and still now, so defo not a 50's thing exclusively. I had them (Letterman jacket) for my school in the 80s (Football, as in Soccer). I currently have an original letterman jacket (orange) and luckily enough with my initial on it so very lucky find.

PS Penny loafers were not worn by original mods and actually were more of a 50's thing too, and since the 80's for some reason are a mod staple - who cares I say. If it looks good then go for it.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 03:42:54 PM »
Agree with much of what you say mate re periods of time these sort of sweaters/sweatshirts originated and such like. The whole Mod thing has taken onboard new elements of style and such like since the 'Revival'

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 03:52:24 PM »
Certainly for me I think '50s' when I see these sort of things. Obviously many Carnaby St outlets and bands of the 1960s wore or sold US college tops and sweat shirts that appealed to some of the 'Mod Crowd' but these specific ones do look a bit more 50s to me. Obviously the whole Ivy-vibe takes in an element of this sort of stuff but I'd personally give it a swerve. Interesting though seeing other guys take on things and if you like it mate go for it. It does open up the whole "What clothes are 'Mod'?" in the same way as the "What music is 'Mod'?" or "What haircut is 'Mod'?". Personally I don't subscribe to the whole "Mod is about moving forward and evolving" ethic because I am interested in a specific period of time and the music, clothes, film, telly and other trappings of that given period. I make no bones about it. However there are things that fall outside of this era that I like regardless but feel no need to somehow shoe-horn them under the 'Mod Umbrella' just to somehow legitimise my liking it as many do.

Amazing. I could subscribe the whole paragraph without changing one iota. Well put, Martin.

Claudio, I see your point re the Letterman clobber, but I think most people sees them as a 50s youth fashion staple. Blame Hollywood.

I perceive penny loafers as a North American icon, not particularly associated with 60s mods. In Spain they're very popular from early 60s on, when some Madrid shoemakers began to copy the USA models. To me they're a timeless design, but I understand they're a love-them-or-hate-them thing.

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 05:20:58 PM »
Out of interest, what is the whole 'letterman' thing? Did it mean you were part of the team and the jackets etc were only for those people?