Author Topic: Varsity sweaters  (Read 789 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Varsity sweaters
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 06:17:23 PM »
@ STAX Maybe some US guys can confirm but certainly my understanding of it, mostly from the scene in GREASE, is that you warranted a Letter on your jersey or sweat if you achieved a particular thing in a given sport.

@Greenstreet cheers mate glad you got the gist of my ramble.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 06:54:41 PM »
Maybe it's the colder weather today but I'm definitely thinking about layers...

Anyone else a fan of varsity sweaters?

Vintage ones can be hard to come by, but this manufacturer in the States looks fairly classic:

https://www.hillflint.com/new?offset=0&limit=100

Any other outlets people could recommend?

Nae Notre Dame - so ah'm oot.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »
Martin pretty much nailed it. The letters were awards for either scholastic or athletic achievement within your school. You could letter in baseball, swim team, debate, etc...depended on school....I have always toyed with doing a Letterman cardigan with a B on it...plenty of suppliers inline in the US.
Initials B.B.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 08:47:37 AM »
Wouldn't that be foul play? No achievement, no letter  ;)

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »
Just popped on to co-sign what Martin wrote a few posts back.
To me the absolute zenith of menswear occurred in that sweet spot from the very late fifties till about 1964. That's what heavily influences most of what I wear. Obviously I'm not rigidly locked in to that and there are certain items from the years since 1964 which I wear as I feel they are observing if not the letter then the spirit of that period (Gazelles, Art Gallery etc). I don't get the compulsion some people seem to have to 'move it forward' and update it etc. it's possible IMO to be influenced by that period without looking like cosplay so I don't feel any need to as Martin says 'shoehorn' certain nnitems into the look. We can all wear whatever we want and I don't get bogged down with worrying about rigid authenticity.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 12:25:44 PM »
Cheers Rod. Sorry guys to have slightly derailed things that was never my intention but of course sometimes with forums off-shoot discussions develop from a given thread. I'd agree my own styles and things I wear have changed over the last almost 40 years. As mentioned before I think for most of us of our age (late 40s/early 50s) we began with a style mimicking perhaps The Jam or the Small faces and The Who. Then perhaps into The Style Council thing with a bit of street/terrace fashion before settling into a kinda Ivy/early 60s flavour thing I still wear today. It is 100% true to say that most original 60s Mods developed into the 'Hard Mod' thing or perhaps the more flamboyant 'Dandy' or later bearded Hippy or simply left it all behind to 'grow up'. However there has to be a cut off point to what was the ongoing development of the original Mod as otherwise you end up having to consider Gary Numan as a Mod for example. I agree original Mods were all about developing and moving forward but guys like us who stepped into the whole thing when it had been an established 'look' clearly took to it for a specific reason and don't necessarily have the need to move on or develop. As mentioned though there are things that are not what could ever be considered as Mod in terms of music or clothes which I love but don't feel I need to somehow justify my liking of it. As much as I like Martin Freeman on telly and his thoughts on Modernism he mentions in the documentary on The Jam that he wants everything to be Mod just because he likes it and uses Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young as an example. To me that is nonsense. Nothing wrong with CSNY, in fact I like them myself, but to consider them remotely Mod is ridiculous.

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 01:15:10 PM »
Certainly stirred a hornet's nest here eh?!  ???

I'm not sure where this talk of 'moving on the Mod look' has come from - never said they were Mod per se (certainly Ivy league, which gets discussed a lot on this forum) but they're smart, fit the silhouette imo and I'd wear 'em

Glad to see it sparked some discussion though, as the forum's pretty slow in general...  :D

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 01:35:11 PM »
Robin agreed anything that gets discussion going is good especially when polite and well put regardless of your opinion. I think a few of us have jumped the gun as we have long seen discussions devolve into 'This is Mod' V 'No it isn't' type of thing. I agree with you though they are a good look when matched with appropriate other bits of clobber and if you like them go for it mate. Good having you involved with it all too mate.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 01:41:41 PM »
Won't bother quoting them but another couple of spot on posts from Martin there (were we separated at birth?). Robin I think the convo got slightly tangential as these things do so didn't necessarily fully refer to the varsity sweater look.

On Styleforum there's a thread entitled 'The Look goes On' in which I participate. I understood it's purpose to be discussions and pics of how we dress now in reference to the classic look and in the early stages of the thread I even trotted out my mantra of being 'influenced by the look but not enslaved to it' which was met with applause.

More recently some people have joined that thread and seem intent on - again - shoe horning stuff in that doesn't seem appropriate to me and had me publically questioning my own participation in the thread as  I don't really feel that 'the look' has to 'go on' by much. There's always going to be an element of evolution but I'm happy for that to be a geological pace! One lad posted pics of himself in hiking gear, GoreTex etc which he has the right to do but I questioned his assertion that this was in any way influenced by Mod and stated it was in fact diametrically opposed to the look IMO.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:45:23 PM by Rod »

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »
Fair enough, maybe I should have posted it in 'I'd Wear That...' as a kind of adjunct to Mod / vintage fashion kind of thing...

Ah well, at least it's got us talking!