Author Topic: Varsity sweaters  (Read 1141 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Varsity sweaters
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 02:13:17 PM »
@Robin Yes mate it has got us all chatting which has to be a good thing. It is funny as given the discussion about styles developing and rolling into the next phase you can watch for example a TV show like early HAPPY DAYS or films like AMERICAN GRAFFITI or ANIMAL HOUSE and they stylistically straddle the two eras we thing of as a 50s college look and also Ivy style. Of course no one ever really thought about that at the time and just wore what they liked.

@Rod Thanks again mate. I love tons of stuff in terms of music and clothing and have bits and bobs in my respective wardrobe and record box. However there is still a consistent theme or thread I generally follow but don't expect others to accept of like my more diverse sartorial or musical choices.

Anyway off to put on my shell track suit and listen to a bit of ABBA and The Smiths!!!!!!!

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 04:48:20 PM »
Good point about the evolution of film/TV wardrobes. Happy Days was made in the seventies but set in the fifties. I think they did a pretty good job of creating authentic looks in the earlier years but by the time they moved into the sixties Fonzie's DA was definitely very dry!

And on a further tangent - 'The Way We Were' is a bit of a sentimental guilty pleasure film for me even though it's seriously flawed, not least to see Redford and co wearing mostly seventies wardrobe and hairstyles (as he did in 'Butch Cassidy' also) for a film set mostly in the fifties. He also wears the same tie in two scenes set decades apart so his character must have been seriously frugal with his gear!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
Fair enough, maybe I should have posted it in 'I'd Wear That...' as a kind of adjunct to Mod / vintage fashion kind of thing...

Nah, these unexpected ramblings and digressions are one of the best features of the forum and they only seem to appear in the most unlikely threads  ;D.

It's very interesting, BTW, what Martin says about consistent threads in music and sartorial tastes. Apart from the more obvious mod links, I often do mental connections between styles and musicians that sometimes only make sense to me and give them a certain place in my inner files. The same applies for clothing: I often try to achieve a very specific vibe with my outfits, with some details that obviously go unnoticed by 99,9 % of passers-by.

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 11:14:43 PM »
Cheers!

I guess this chap here is what I'm thinking of:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/35/5e/9b/355e9bb7953f338bb6abeb0570a1a1ac.jpg

Smart, Ivy, determined to win whatever sports thing it is he has happened to have entered...  8)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »
A Talk Ivy pic, if I'm not mistaken.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 05:52:35 PM »
Yep get where you are coming from with this one mate.

Neil Lee

• Clothes, Football, Scooters & Music in that order.
    • View Profile
    • Gettin' To The Point
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 07:33:42 PM »
Classic and cool Ivy League look.

Worn with chinos & sneakers they look amazing.
Gettin' To The Point
30th September 2017
Hull

https://www.facebook.com/events/181665118990983/

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 08:34:55 PM »
ewww...not for me.
Not stuck in the 60's

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 08:23:19 AM »
A very interesting debate on these. I quite like some of the sweaters. There's always been a bit of a thing in Mod style for stealing sportswear and the associated kit if it looks good. Bowling shoes, ski jumpers, deck shoes, trainers, cycling tops etc. I see these in the same vein.
I'm not bothered by the stitch on or woven in split. It's the colours and shapes that matter.

One thing is clear though, there are some wierd names for their sports teams.
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 09:21:35 PM »
Got a few varsity sweats and a cardigan. Like Neil says,it's how you wear/combine them.