Author Topic: London to Paris...Completed!  (Read 215 times)

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
London to Paris...Completed!
« on: September 07, 2017, 11:39:42 AM »
Just a quick line to say thanks to Syd for sponsoring me. Team Cider Riders set off from Eltham Palace, in the borough of Greenwich, London last Thursday morning around 7am. We rode to Dover where we caught a ferry to Dunkirk.

The following three days involved some great riding in northern France on closed roads (we had over 30 motorcycle outriders) so no need to stop at junctions/traffic lights etc.

We arrived at the Arc de Triomphe around 2pm on Sunday afternoon after riding up the Champs-Élysées, which had been closed for the event.

Over the 4 days we rode 483k, climbed 4696 metres, spent 25 hours and 16 minutes in the saddle and burnt off 14,614 calories.

We've currently raised £3837 for the Royal British Legion who organised the event, and if you'd like to add to this then simply follow this link to our just giving page:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/adrian-wood8

I'd put up some photos but have only got a Photobucket account which unless I pay for an upgrade won't allow me to share them, but if you are on facebook you can see a few on our Team Page:

https://www.facebook.com/The-Cider-Riders-London-to-Paris-2017-147211575847389/

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: London to Paris...Completed!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »
You're welcome, Steve, it was really a small contribution, but I'm glad it helped. Looks like it was a terrific ride (and a hard one, judging by the hours spent and calories burned!)

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:25:01 AM »
Not easy but definitely worthwhile and something I'll never forget.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 09:39:58 PM »
 Well done Steve , you certainly put the miles in and you got to ride your bike down the Champs-Élysées which alone , would have been worth the trip I think . A couple of years ago l walked from the Arc de Triomph to the Place de la Concorde , that was superb but on a bike even better. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Soulstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 10:06:55 PM »
Well done Steve!
I'd forgotten about this - sponsored about 6 months ago  - it puts the training for it into perspective.

A fine job.
Bill.

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 12:25:24 PM »
Cheers Bill & Simon.

It was definitely the hardest physical thing I've ever done, but oddly I enjoyed almost every mile of it. The second day from Dunkirk to Abbeville was really hard at over 157k of riding which equated to over 8 hours in the saddle. We rode as a team of four aka
The Cider Riders, and had jerseys made up with the Team Logo on them. Think they looked quite nice.

I've managed to find a new photo hosting site and hope this works:

In this photo from the ride to Dover the chap in front of me is getting a helping hand up a long uphill drag...yours truly riding behind seems to be enjoying the pain :-)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 08:54:25 PM »
Good pics Steve . What is the strap below your knee , is it something to do with the Craft ?
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

roundmidnight2

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 10:47:37 PM »
Great job! And you can still stand upright and smile afterwards. I don´t know how you do it.

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 08:47:07 AM »
Good pics Steve . What is the strap below your knee , is it something to do with the Craft ?

Not that sinister I'm afraid Simon. Have suffered with knee pain for a while now...think it's a touch of arthritis. The strapping was something my chiropractor suggested.

charliebravo69

• Modernist, Cyclist, Pissartist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 09:24:48 AM »
What pedals are you using Steve? I had similar problems with my knees till I started using speedplay pedals with full float. Worth a try