Author Topic: London to Paris...Completed!  (Read 373 times)

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: London to Paris...Completed!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 12:40:58 PM »
What pedals are you using Steve? I had similar problems with my knees till I started using speedplay pedals with full float. Worth a try

I'm using Shimano pedals (their entry level ones http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-r540-spd-sl-sport-pedals/ )

To be honest my knees are painful if I crouch down, or bend etc ... I don't think it's the cycling which is the cause. My old man had bad knees around his mid 50's and has recently had two new titanium ones fitted. I may end up going the same way :-)

I've often looked at the Speedplay pedals but the price has always put me off trying them...I think the base ones are around 100 a pair rising to well over 400.

charliebravo69

• Modernist, Cyclist, Pissartist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 05:40:11 PM »
I'm the same as you Steve, my Mum has had three new knees (one done twice obviously) - speed plays are definitely the way forward. I was always getting pains around the 40-50 mile mark and once I changed from SPD-SL it stopped. It's a small price to pay if you ask me

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 06:51:49 PM »
Good pics Steve . What is the strap below your knee , is it something to do with the Craft ?

Not that sinister I'm afraid Simon. Have suffered with knee pain for a while now...think it's a touch of arthritis. The strapping was something my chiropractor suggested.

Oh right , not so good , Steve . I have never seen before Steve , that's why I thought I'd ask . .

I only had knee pain once when I used the no float , Look black plates . I now use the Look grey plates with intermediate float but as you say yourself , I don't think your problem is cycling related . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 08:47:50 AM »
I'll keep an eye out for any sale reductions for the Speedplays or add them to my Christmas wish list :-)

The Shimano pedals do have a fair degree of movement, and my knees hurt less when I'm cycling that they do when I bend them in normal day to day use. I just think it's age related...at 52 I've realised that things are starting to hurt more, especially around the lower back and my knees and oddly one elbow. The good thing about riding is that my arse hurts so much that I tend to forget the other pains :-)