Author Topic: The Vietnam War - Ken Burns  (Read 114 times)

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
The Vietnam War - Ken Burns
« on: October 24, 2017, 11:37:24 PM »

Embdy else been watchin' this excellent series oan the BBC?

Very well made n' good tae get the various perspectives oan the conflict aw represented. (N Vietnam, S Vietnam, those servin' in the US forces n' yanks opposed tae the war).

As somebody that wis born in 1962 it's also made me depressingly realise that fur pretty much ma entire lifetime the yanks huv been carpet bombin' some third world country somewhaur oan the globe.

If only mair folk had listened tae Edwin Starr!

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: The Vietnam War - Ken Burns
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 05:25:43 PM »
I watched the final two episodes last night and it has been an excellent series giving voices to all sides of those involved.  The underhand dealings of the Nixon administration, in particular, made my blood boil.
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: The Vietnam War - Ken Burns
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 06:53:58 AM »
I missed the programmes but I have read books on the Vietnam war. It is quite well known that the Yanks lost 58k troops in the conflict but what is less well known is that civilian casualties on both sides in Vietnam ran into the millions . .

I still remember watching it on the news as a kid and wondering what it was all about. I reckon public opinion did play a major role in ending US involvement in the conflict . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!