Author Topic: Traveling in as much style as you can  (Read 578 times)

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Traveling in as much style as you can
« on: October 26, 2017, 10:41:14 PM »
When traveling across country or internationally,  it seems the restrictions and safety rules impede on personal style...i.e., safety razors, flying with liquids, the clothes you wear. As I have a bit if flying to do over the next few months, any suggestions on how to still be stylish when traveling these days?
Initials B.B.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling in as much style as you can
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 11:16:05 PM »
I haven't traveled abroad in a while, but from what I remember the last time... wear loafers for the airport, use an electric razor, buy your basic toiletries when you arrive at your destination, get small atomizer for your fav cologne...
mod in Detroit

Deoraby

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:32:17 AM »
I'm taking six months out of my normal work and travelling around from Toronto (where i live) to the UK (where i am from) and back..currently in San Diego...saw Weller play the House of Blues last night.  Best gig I've ever seen from him..... I digress......maintaining some style while travelling is not so difficult...i take one check in bag and one hand luggage...im on the road too long to take just hand luggage.  There's no problem checking in disposable razor blades and, in the US particularly, most hotels have laundry facilities so i try to pack as little as i can....clean clothes for a week.  Did manage to shrink a pile of shirts in an over enthusiastic drier in Arizona last week, unfortunately...shoes are the big thing..i like my shoes and hate being limited to a couple of pairs.

roundmidnight2

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 01:55:49 PM »
One of the things that to me feels like traveling in style today (although I seldom do it) is actually checking in luggage - free hands at the airport,and it gives you more options for what you want to pack as well. It might not make much sense if you´re only away for a couple of days or if you don´t want to waste precious time waiting for your bags to show up though. There are nice disposable razors on the market and I got myself a lightweight brush to use just for trips. It´s not great but it weighs less than the steel one I use the rest of the time. Get small sized bottles/cans of things you want to get through security and you should be able to get all the things you need into one of those little zip up bags they want you to use. Pick stylish clothes and shoes that are as waterproof as possible so they can do double duty in at least light rain but aren´t too heavy - one thing I always get wrong is that the clothes I wear during the waitng/flight time are too hot which makes me feel instantly unstylish and uncomfortable. Pack, jump on your bag until you can get twice the amount in and see if you can work this one out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5AWQ5aBjgE

Becky_Moffitt_83

• Mod Goddess... enough said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 01:16:08 PM »
I suppose as Mods we find it difficult to decide what to wear most days, let alone to pack when we go travelling. Depending on when and where I'm travelling to and the length of time I'm going for, I'll constantly work out ensembles. Usually, I will pack more than needed or required. I often take an outfit I'll wear for the day and another for what I'll wear at night - especially if it's a weekender of some description - and don't want to be caught wearing the same ensemble.
A few years ago, I went away with a friend of mine for a few days - both my suitcase and train case packed. As he carried my suitcase, I was asked if I had bricks in there...  ;D I guess someone wasn't used to travelling with a Mod 8)
Sometimes, I pack vintage styles, sometimes vintage-inspired styles or pack a combination of the two. I even pack more than one handbag so it complements the ensemble.
“The fashionable woman wears clothes. The clothes don't wear her.” Mary Quant

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 05:46:29 PM »
Very true Becky,  I think it's not a question of knowing what to do, but finding a way to do it in a manner that fits my aesthetics.  I despise having to put little containers of fluids in a clear plastic bag, seems so ad hoc. I have noticed dressing well tends to get you a little better service as a nice bonus. Flew out yesterday and got two compliments before I even left the airport,  one on my sports coat (kudos to Claudio) and one on my carry on bag (kudos to, well, me).  I think a lot of it is seeing so many people just hit rock bottom when travelling, with sweatpants, crocs, and novelty t-shirts, that feel guilty by association.
Initials B.B.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 09:37:37 PM »
One of the things that to me feels like traveling in style today (although I seldom do it) is actually checking in luggage - free hands at the airport,and it gives you more options for what you want to pack as well. It might not make much sense if you´re only away for a couple of days or if you don´t want to waste precious time waiting for your bags to show up though. There are nice disposable razors on the market and I got myself a lightweight brush to use just for trips. It´s not great but it weighs less than the steel one I use the rest of the time. Get small sized bottles/cans of things you want to get through security and you should be able to get all the things you need into one of those little zip up bags they want you to use. Pick stylish clothes and shoes that are as waterproof as possible so they can do double duty in at least light rain but aren´t too heavy - one thing I always get wrong is that the clothes I wear during the waitng/flight time are too hot which makes me feel instantly unstylish and uncomfortable. Pack, jump on your bag until you can get twice the amount in and see if you can work this one out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5AWQ5aBjgE

Yes , I have used that folding method for a couple of years and it is great for short sleeved items but not so good with long sleeved . .

. .other than that I think Brian B summed up pretty well..
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Becky_Moffitt_83

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 12:16:47 AM »
One of the many perks of being a Mod is our sense of style. Gets us noticed, anywhere and everywhere... even at the local pub.
I'm in a fashion enthusiasts group in town (most of them are charity shop enthusiasts, really) and we meet up at a local pub once a month and can choose to dress for a monthly theme. I love doing it, as I tend to be OTT about it, so much so, that the bar man always asks me what the theme is. I suppose it's because I'm the youngest in the group, have a sense of style that sets me apart from the other ladies and I always chat to him before the meeting starts. The fun part for me is that it gives the other locals/regulars something to talk about and gawp at, I guess.  ;) I just see it as just another day and do it well.

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
I'm loving the fashion enthusiasts group idea. I bet it gets you really thinking about details and going that extra mile.
I wish there was something around my area on the same tip.
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

Becky_Moffitt_83

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 05:13:19 PM »
I'm loving the fashion enthusiasts group idea. I bet it gets you really thinking about details and going that extra mile.
I wish there was something around my area on the same tip.

It's an interesting, diverse group of women who enjoy fashion, history and costume. Personally, there's only half of them I'd actually want to spend time with on a social basis. One of them has an interest in making clothes and two wheels (she has a BSA Dandy scoot, but doesn't ride it) and we can bond over that, two others know friends of mine in Melbourne (pure coincidence), one of them I've known for years through other community interests. I told some of the others (who are more of your charity shop/bargain basement buyers) how much I've spent on my vintage Mary Quant items (anywhere from over £50 - £200) and they thought that was excessive...
Most of my wardrobe consists of vintage or vintage-inspired clothing and comes from a variety of sources - both online and offline. I enjoy going to charity and vintage shops and fairs, factory outlets and department stores and the high street. If I can put them on layaway or Afterpay (which is like a layaway in reverse), even better. Not bad for someone who's still looking for work...  ;)   8)
I can't wait to show them my vintage MQ sign I acquired recently...  ;)