Author Topic: Mod at the Movies  (Read 480 times)

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
Mod at the Movies
« on: November 09, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »
Following on from the tangential discussion on the ‘I’d Wear That’ thread, here’s where you can throw in your suggestions for great looking style from films or TV.

Sorry if we’ve had this thread before but it might be time for a revival anyway.

Obvious ones are early Connery Bond films, Cary Grant in North By Northwest etc,

Also Hoffman in ‘The Graduate’, Jude Law in ‘Mr. Ripley’ (and Damon too if you go for that baggy Ivy look).

There’s got to be many less obvious ones - post ‘em up!

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: Mod at the Movies
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 02:05:31 PM »
As mentioned on the other thread , there is also How to Murder Your Wife . I would also mention the original Italian Job , Camp Freddy even wears a suit with covered buttons never mind the stylish threads Charlie Crocker wears. .then there is Bullit one of my all time favourite movies - Steve with his business casual look . There is even some good stuff in the Adjustment Bureau . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 04:33:32 PM »
Good topic. I'm sure I'll recall tons of movies with stylish wardrobes later, but for starters, besides the ones already mentioned, I'd propose "The Thomas Crown affair" (McQueen at the peak of his sartorial powers) and the "I spy" and "Get smart" tv series.

Lots of comedies -Doris Day's films and the like- and capers from the early-to-mid-60s displayed unbelievably stylish gear (be it men or women's clobber): "How to succeed in business without really trying", the Flint franchise or "What's new pussycat" come to mind. Not to forget early 60s italian and french movies (just look at the suits or casual clothes Tony Perkins wears in "Phaedra").

50s musicals like "Funny face" or "An american in Paris" are terrific from this point of view too.

GILES

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 04:55:46 PM »
Al Pacino in The Godfather 2.

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 10:04:37 PM »
I posted about hit-or-miss Steve McQueen but the post was erased.

In that post I mentioned TTCA and also the surprisingly good remake in which Brosnan shows some great nineties style (French blue shirts, monochrome ties) which hasn’t dated badly.

Syd you mentioned Doris Day films and it brought to mind a film with James Garner about a group of ‘Mad Men’ who travel into the city by train and come up with a scheme to share an apartment in which they can have girls on the side. Some great threads in that IIRC.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 11:30:46 AM »
Rod, I think you're talking about "Boys night out", with Kim Novak instead of the usual Doris Day or Debbie Reynolds (a change for the better, if you ask me). Anyway, almost all of those "sex" comedies are cut from the same cloth: silly, very dated plots, period charm in spades and the chance Tony Randall is on board..., all in all the stuff guilty pleasures are made of.

The best of the lot are undoubtedly "Kiss me stupid" and "Man's favorite sport", both late additions to the canon (and both with a non canonic countryside setting) that have stood the test of time reasonably well, thanks to smart screenplays and a couple of geniuses in charge: Howard Hawks and Billy Wilder.

Another great movie that ticks all the right sartorial/style boxes is "Sweet smell of success".

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 03:28:23 PM »
Good post Syd.

There are some interesting suits in ‘Ocean’s 11’

Of course I’m referring to Ol’ Blue Eyes st al, not Brad Pitt with his ridiculous unlinked French shirt cuffs flapping around hither and yon while he takes part in some desperately unfunny ‘In joke’ of constantly being portrayed eating junk food.

Aside from Jeffrey Wright the best and most accurate Felix compared to the books is in Thunderball where we see Mr. L in a snappy Seersucker suit. 

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 04:28:41 PM »
Good post Syd.

There are some interesting suits in ‘Ocean’s 11’

Oh, yes, I knew I was forgetting something, the Rat Pack movies!  8)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 07:13:33 PM »
The Harry Palmer movies are good too , the movies that launched a thousand stone-coloured Mac's. . 8)
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 07:39:09 PM »
The Harry Palmer movies are good too , the movies that launched a thousand stone-coloured Mac's. . 8)

The mac alone is worth the price of admission! But tbh without Caine wearing it, the films could get a bit boring  ;D