Author Topic: Mod at the Movies  (Read 481 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: Mod at the Movies
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 12:56:38 AM »
The Harry Palmer movies are good too , the movies that launched a thousand stone-coloured Mac's. . 8)

The mac alone is worth the price of admission! But tbh without Caine wearing it, the films could get a bit boring  ;D

Personally , l think the Ipcress File has stood the test of time and portrays a more gritty realism to spy movies that Bond often leaves behind. .l also think the American bloke from the CIA that threatens Palmer is a cool looking dude. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 11:08:33 AM »

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 11:17:43 AM »
In ‘Charade’ with Cary Grant we see him with a Harry Palmer Mac before Harry wore his.

There’s a good knockabout film called ‘Arabesque’ with Pegory Greck and Sophia Loren in which Atticus is shown wearing Ivy gear - OCBDs, herringbone sports jackets etc.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 11:35:10 AM »
In ‘Charade’ with Cary Grant we see him with a Harry Palmer Mac before Harry wore his.

There’s a good knockabout film called ‘Arabesque’ with Pegory Greck and Sophia Loren in which Atticus is shown wearing Ivy gear - OCBDs, herringbone sports jackets etc.

I've watched both many moons ago, they're the kind of stylish capers I was talking about in an earlier post. As a bonus, "Charade"'s soundtrack has got an unforgettable main theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMtpqsihiZE

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 01:35:51 PM »
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Do it well

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 05:07:36 PM »
Breakfast at Tiffany's

I said , what about , what about . .

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 10:44:09 AM »
Just a clip from 1963, but I think it encapsulates to perfection the early 60s masculine elegance. It's Dexter Gordon giving it all with a dark suit on that seems sculpted on him (advantages of being tall), the customary slim tie and THAT iconic club collar shirt he's sporting in the "Our man in Paris" cover. The blowing ain't bad either!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_iNOf0rLRA

Frankio

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 09:43:38 AM »
James Stewart in “Vertigo”, Gene Hackman in “The French Connection” (the hat alone wins it a spot for me), Richard Roundtree in “Shaft”, just about every Sean Connery outfit in “Goldfinger” (exempting of course the infamous blue towelling playsuit), Michael Caine’s wardrobe in “The Italian Job” and am I missing something or has no one mentioned “The Avengers” TV series? Or is it too obvious?

Personally though it’s not particularly “Mod” I was always fascinated by 1930s and 1940s black and white moves where everyone seemed to wear a suit and tie, smart overcoat and a hat on a daily basis.
Off. James 'Jimmy' McNulty: You know what they call a guy who pays that much attention to his clothes, don't you?

Det. William 'Bunk' Moreland: A grown-up.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 05:09:25 PM »
James Stewart in “Vertigo”, Gene Hackman in “The French Connection” (the hat alone wins it a spot for me), Richard Roundtree in “Shaft”, just about every Sean Connery outfit in “Goldfinger” (exempting of course the infamous blue towelling playsuit), Michael Caine’s wardrobe in “The Italian Job” and am I missing something or has no one mentioned “The Avengers” TV series? Or is it too obvious?

Personally though it’s not particularly “Mod” I was always fascinated by 1930s and 1940s black and white moves where everyone seemed to wear a suit and tie, smart overcoat and a hat on a daily basis.

I wouldn't say the Avengers was too obvious , it was worth watching just for the clothes and Mrs Peel of course. .