Author Topic: Shoe rejuvenation  (Read 196 times)

Bingo Accent

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Shoe rejuvenation
« on: November 10, 2017, 10:25:32 PM »
Evening all.

I've got a couple of pairs of shoes that need a bit of TLC - and I've appreciate the expertise of the forum...

First up is a pair of Grenson brogues, I've always used a decent coat of light tan wax polish out of a tin, but it never seems to 'take'. It seems to randomly absorb in a very patchy way, rather than create a consistent shine.

I think they probably need everything stripping off and starting again. Any clues in terms of products and/or methods would be gratefully received.

The second are a pair of Bass loafers. Again, they've always had a decent coat of ox blood Kiwi, but it seems that the top surface has gone, and it looks very 'puckered'. I suspect they're beyond saving, but if there are any suggestions out there...

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Shoe rejuvenation
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 12:57:26 PM »
You're not alone in this, BA, I just don't seem to find the right burgundy polish cream for my loafers and brogues, maybe I should use neutral polish. And the cognac/tan/light brown coloured shoes usually end up with lighter areas with time, no matter how carefully you polish them.

Re the brogues I've heard wonders (I'm yet to try it) about Saphir Renovateur to eliminate past cream excesses and return the original colour, maybe it's the way to go.

The Lad Craig

• View Profile
    • The Zodiac Club
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »
Use saddle soap to clean up the shoes or if you've got layers & layers of polish use this to strip everything back:
https://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/saphir/products/saphir-renomat

Saphir do some excellent polishes, creams & renevators/treatments. You can even get a colour chart to match the colour - good luck!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:55:26 PM by The Lad Craig »
I say play your own way. Donít play what the public wants. Play what you want and let the public pick up on what you are doing, even if it takes them fifteen or twenty years - Thelonious Monk.

madras_seersucker

• Wowsville Baby, Wowsville!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »
This article may help the Bass, lots of other useful shoe related info too...
https://vcleat.com/glycerin-leather-conditioning/
44L | 16.5-37 | 38x33 | 12UK 13US

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
I dyed a pair of light brown trainers to dark brown using leather dye. It came up a treat. You have to take off the previous stuff using meths or the like on a cloth. I'm sure you can use it to redo the same colour.

As for the creases - either you see them as lovely character or as a sign that you need to go shoe shopping. Silver lining and all.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/122406511888?chn=ps&var=422880039747&dispctrl=1&adgroupid=48716125379&rlsatarget=pla-382120639115&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=114979312&poi=&googleloc=9045995&device=c&campaignid=974960635&crdt=0
Life is too short to listen to s**t music