Author Topic: New York City  (Read 306 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
New York City
« on: November 12, 2017, 11:43:12 AM »
Folks, I'm visiting -for the first time- the Big Apple next month with my brother. Basic sightseeing is fairly covered, as he's a seasoned NY visitor (I think this will be his 5th time there), but he's got nothing to do with the scene, so I'd thank for some tips, mainly concerning mod-friendly apparel stores. Got already a list, but I'm sure there are worthwile additions.

For instance, is the Brooklyn FP's outlet worth the visit?

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: New York City
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 12:02:27 PM »
When I went on holiday in September to Chile, my connecting flight from New York was rerouted to Bogota so, having ten hours to while away, I had a pleasant afternoon and evening in NYC.  The Uniqlo store on Broadway is worth a look, but that's probably on your list?
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
When I went on holiday in September to Chile, my connecting flight from New York was rerouted to Bogota so, having ten hours to while away, I had a pleasant afternoon and evening in NYC.  The Uniqlo store on Broadway is worth a look, but that's probably on your list?

Cheers, Ady!. Yes, I thought about Uniqlo, but as they've just opened a store in Barcelona (and their shipping fees to Spain are neglibible), I don't plan to visit their NY store unless I need to try on an specific item. Thanks anyway, amigo  :). And keep 'em comin', guys.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 12:07:06 AM »
Jack Demsey's Bar roon the back ay the Empire State Building show the Celtic matches oan telly.    ;)

Goorin Bros in the West Village if yir in the market fur a bunnet or fedora/trilby.

Dave's New York oan 6th Ave if ye want jeans or a trucker jaiket.

The Kamakura shirt shop oan Madison Ave is probably worth a look.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »
Thanks, Laird! Kamakura was on my list, but I didn't know the other shops. Well, tbh watching a Celtics' match on tv isn't among my priorities, but who knows...?  ;)

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 12:07:43 PM »
Hey GS , when are you in NY? I'm actually in here this week for work.....
Initials B.B.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 05:25:31 PM »
Hey GS , when are you in NY? I'm actually in here this week for work.....

Cheers, Brian, we'll be there from 15th to 20th December.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »
Ahh....I'll be gone by then :(

I saw this, it's form a few years back, but may be a little help;

http://www.modculture.co.uk/modernist-new-york-a-guide-to-new-york-for-mods/

Initials B.B.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 07:33:10 PM »

Cheers, Ady!. Yes, I thought about Uniqlo, but as they've just opened a store in Barcelona (and their shipping fees to Spain are neglibible), I don't plan to visit their NY store unless I need to try on an specific item. Thanks anyway, amigo  :). And keep 'em comin', guys.

Have a great time when you over there , amigo . Don't forget to send me a caird. . :)

Dont spend all your dinero over there , remember their shoe artisans are not as good as the Spanish. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

bjorn_late

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 09:30:35 PM »
Folks, I'm visiting -for the first time- the Big Apple next month with my brother. Basic sightseeing is fairly covered, as he's a seasoned NY visitor (I think this will be his 5th time there), but he's got nothing to do with the scene, so I'd thank for some tips, mainly concerning mod-friendly apparel stores. Got already a list, but I'm sure there are worthwile additions.

For instance, is the Brooklyn FP's outlet worth the visit?
I've just moved out of NYC after living there for the past three years. Was a great time.

Yes, the FP outlet store can be worthwhile. It has good prices (in US dollars, not sure how great they are with the pound where it is). For instance I bought one of the made in Italy waffle knits a couple years ago for $40 USD, I think those retailed around $160. Sizing is scattered as it is an outlet, but you can get lucky. I also used to goto Century 21 near Wall St, they have good things occasionally.

Wednesday nights, Mr Fine Wine from WFMU radio does his long standing soul night at Botanica. It's a rather casual gig if you're looking for a few drinks and some rare soul downtown. I believe it starts around 9pm.
He also does a gig called Soul Night at a bar called Friends and Lovers in Brooklyn, it happens the first and third Saturday each month. It's a generally young crowd and a packed dance floor, but is the most lively night of its sort in the city.
My friend does a broad mod spectrum DJ gig called Living For Kicks every Thursday in Boerum Hill, Brooklyn at Robert Bar. That was my local spot, cozy place with great cocktails.
Otto's Shrunken Head is a kind of divey punk leaning tiki bar thats kind of fun on 14th St.
Union Pool in Williamsburg isn't too far from the FP store, sometimes they have decent stuff going on.

If you're looking for records, I'd hit A-1 Records in Manhattan, Northern Lights, Human Head and Superior Elevation out in Bushwick Brooklyn. If you're looking for Jamaican stuff specifically, Record City, in Prospect Lefferts Gardens Brooklyn. Those were my most fruitful spots.

As far as general tourist stuff, if you are down near the 9-11 monument this is a really nice spot to have have a drink and spot the statue of Liberty https://www.piera.com/commissioners-bar

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:32:59 PM by bjorn_late »