Author Topic: New York City  (Read 305 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: New York City
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »
Folks, I'm visiting -for the first time- the Big Apple next month with my brother. Basic sightseeing is fairly covered, as he's a seasoned NY visitor (I think this will be his 5th time there), but he's got nothing to do with the scene, so I'd thank for some tips, mainly concerning mod-friendly apparel stores. Got already a list, but I'm sure there are worthwile additions.

For instance, is the Brooklyn FP's outlet worth the visit?
I've just moved out of NYC after living there for the past three years. Was a great time.

Yes, the FP outlet store can be worthwhile. It has good prices (in US dollars, not sure how great they are with the pound where it is). For instance I bought one of the made in Italy waffle knits a couple years ago for $40 USD, I think those retailed around $160. Sizing is scattered as it is an outlet, but you can get lucky. I also used to goto Century 21 near Wall St, they have good things occasionally.

Wednesday nights, Mr Fine Wine from WFMU radio does his long standing soul night at Botanica. It's a rather casual gig if you're looking for a few drinks and some rare soul downtown. I believe it starts around 9pm.
He also does a gig called Soul Night at a bar called Friends and Lovers in Brooklyn, it happens the first and third Saturday each month. It's a generally young crowd and a packed dance floor, but is the most lively night of its sort in the city.
My friend does a broad mod spectrum DJ gig called Living For Kicks every Thursday in Boerum Hill, Brooklyn at Robert Bar. That was my local spot, cozy place with great cocktails.
Otto's Shrunken Head is a kind of divey punk leaning tiki bar thats kind of fun on 14th St.
Union Pool in Williamsburg isn't too far from the FP store, sometimes they have decent stuff going on.

If you're looking for records, I'd hit A-1 Records in Manhattan, Northern Lights, Human Head and Superior Elevation out in Bushwick Brooklyn. If you're looking for Jamaican stuff specifically, Record City, in Prospect Lefferts Gardens Brooklyn. Those were my most fruitful spots.

As far as general tourist stuff, if you are down near the 9-11 monument this is a really nice spot to have have a drink and spot the statue of Liberty https://www.piera.com/commissioners-bar

Top stuff, Bjorn, thanks! I take note of your suggestions. Doubt I can make it to a gig, but I'll keep an eye on the bars & shops.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 09:41:01 AM »
Ahh....I'll be gone by then :(

I saw this, it's form a few years back, but may be a little help;

http://www.modculture.co.uk/modernist-new-york-a-guide-to-new-york-for-mods/

Thanks a lot, B, I didn't remember that MC guide, I'll try to update it, as I know small businesses come and vanish at NY at an alarming speed. A pity we can't join to have an espresso -or something stronger-together, mate.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 09:44:50 AM »

Have a great time when you over there , amigo . Don't forget to send me a caird. . :)

Dont spend all your dinero over there , remember their shoe artisans are not as good as the Spanish. .

No shoes for me then  ;D.

I'll be careful with my wallet, amigo, I know the Big Apple's not cheap place. Thanks for the good wishes.  ;)

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »
I often find it useful to buy a copy of "Time out" when I arrive at a big city.  You never know whats on.
I was lucky enough to do this in New York a number of years back and ended up seeing the "Dolls " on their comeback tour, something I would never have thought of or know about without a snoop through the mag.  It probably lists vintage shops etc too.  Have a great time.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »
Not much of a traveller to be honest but NY is one place I've visited a few times and always loved every aspect of it. Can't say anything specific but just enjoy fella!

Japanese Moles

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 04:51:41 PM »
If you don't go to Jack Dempsey's bar for the footy, at least go in there for the chicken wings, which are THE BEST chicken wings.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 05:34:28 PM »
ADAM & MART, thanks, chaps. I'm sure it'll be an unforgettable trip. Checking Time Out is sound advice, Adam, tho' I doubt I'm as lucky as you were with Johansen & co comeback gig.

MOLE, the chicken wings are way more tempting than the matches, so maybe I'll drop by JD's place after all  ;D

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 02:26:56 PM »
Just sent you a big PM Syd, then I saw this thread. Check your in box.

Also if you’re there on a Saturday and want a football experience go to Legends on 33rd at Fifth on Saturday morning. They show dozens of live matches and punters turn out wearing their team kit.  Before my team took a nose dive I had some great times in there (beating Man U on penalties in the League Cup semi final -  I was one of two SAFC fans among all the Mancs!)

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 05:29:06 PM »
Same turn oot as at the Stadium ay Light these days.

Especially if McCoist gets the job as new manager.     ;D

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:30:41 PM by The Laird of Enfield »

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 07:35:46 PM »
Same turn oot as at the Stadium ay Light these days.

Especially if McCoist gets the job as new manager.     ;D

That would be wishful thinking - on the first point.