Author Topic: MOD REVIVAL AND THE RISE OF SKA EVENT JAN 23 2018  (Read 1166 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
MOD REVIVAL AND THE RISE OF SKA EVENT JAN 23 2018
« on: December 22, 2017, 11:43:50 AM »
https://secondhome.io/cultural-programme/mod-revival-and-the-rise-of-ska

Guys!
I attended a similar event earlier this year charting the rise of the original Mod movement in London and the home counties in the late '50s and into the 1960s. Great venue, great guests and a thoroughly enjoyable evening was had by all. This is kinda like the follow up event so I am already booked. Certainly worth a look for London based fellas around these parts

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: MOD REVIVAL AND THE RISE OF SKA EVENT JAN 23 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 01:25:44 PM »
Guys! Not sure if anyone around these parts popped along to this event last night but it was a good 'un. Following on from last years event chronicling the early days of the original London Mod scene Second Home staged the event to celebrate the 'Mod Revival'. The three on-stage guests singer Rhoda Dakar, writer Terry Rawlings and DJ Eddie Piller were fun and informative with discussion ranging from the names of early Mod Revival bands and the impact of QUADROPHENIA and The Jam on Britain's youth through to racial issues of the 1960s and '70s and the seeming lack of current tribal/youth culture. Plenty of banter and no small amount of disagreement from all parties which made for an exciting evening for those of us in the audience. Largely made up of middle-aged 'Revivalists' as well as some younger folk we were also treated to recollections and memories of band members of The Chords, The Purple Hearts and The Vapors too. With proceedings ending a little earlier than planned most of the crowd both on-stage and off moved on to a local watering hole for further discussion and frivolities where I was surprised to find the distance many had travelled for the event thinking most would be Londoners or 'local' to some degree as I am myself. Top night all round.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 01:48:18 PM by Martin G »

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 08:43:29 PM »
Guys! Not sure if anyone around these parts popped along to this event last night but it was a good 'un. Following on from last years event chronicling the early days of the original London Mod scene Second Home staged the event to celebrate the 'Mod Revival'. The three on-stage guests singer Rhoda Dakar, writer Terry Rawlings and DJ Eddie Piller were fun and informative with discussion ranging from the names of early Mod Revival bands and the impact of QUADROPHENIA and The Jam on Britain's youth through to racial issues of the 1960s and '70s and the seeming lack of current tribal/youth culture. Plenty of banter and no small amount of disagreement from all parties which made for an exciting evening for those of us in the audience. Largely made up of middle-aged 'Revivalists' as well as some younger folk we were also treated to recollections and memories of band members of The Chords, The Purple Hearts and The Vapors too. With proceedings ending a little earlier than planned most of the crowd both on-stage and off moved on to a local watering hole for further discussion and frivolities where I was surprised to find the distance many had travelled for the event thinking most would be Londoners or 'local' to some degree as I am myself. Top night all round.

Yes , certainly sounds like an entertaining evening Martin . Can you recall which member os the Purple Hearts were there . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 09:44:52 PM »
Yes mate it was guitarist Simon Stebbing and Buddy from the Chords. Ed from The Vapors.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 08:40:02 AM »
Thanks Martin , I was a fan of the Hearts back in the day. .

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 09:22:55 AM »
Me too mate. All those bands like The Chords, The Purple Hearts, Back To Zero, Merton Parkas were very much part of my introduction to this whole 'Mod' thing back in 79/80 at venues around London. Looking back they were all pretty 'Punky' really which I loved but dressed up a bit sharper if you know what I mean. Over the years gotten to know a few guys from these bands and all are lovely fellas too.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 05:13:07 PM »

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 08:14:03 PM »

l did suspect you to come in with that Laird . .

You're getting predictable. . ;D

Mon the Jambos  :D :P

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 04:11:50 PM »
The Vapours are playing the bungalow in Paisley soon Mr Bond.

I might be going as a mate of mine fancies it and mentioned it to me last night at the Full Circle club in Edinburgh.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 06:50:35 PM »
The Vapours are playing the bungalow in Paisley soon Mr Bond.

I might be going as a mate of mine fancies it and mentioned it to me last night at the Full Circle club in Edinburgh.

Thanks for the tip Woodster . Do you know how much of the original line-up there is pal. .