Author Topic: The Top 10 Acoustic Egg Box Albums Of The Year - 2017  (Read 1636 times)

ianeggbert

• Vintage becoming veteran
    • View Profile
    • The Acoustic Egg Box
The Top 10 Acoustic Egg Box Albums Of The Year - 2017
« on: December 31, 2017, 11:16:49 AM »
Morning all!

For any of you that love discovering new music, I hope that my annual (but completely subjective!) ramblings about my favourite albums of the year give you some food for thought and entice you to listen to stuff that might otherwise have passed you by.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here are 10 favourite albums of the past 12 months  https://wp.me/p9hY2N-5R and just so it's all on one page - here are numbers 20-11 https://wp.me/p9hY2N-5q

Once again, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all the contributors and readers of the Modculture forum a very happy, healthy and of course, stylish New Year 

Best wishes,

Ian
It's not the cost of the suit that counts, it's the worth of the man inside it

Twitter: @IanPople1

midnight mover

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: The Top 10 Acoustic Egg Box Albums Of The Year - 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 10:41:24 AM »
Great list and a lot of stuff to check out for me. I'm listening to the Pete Fij / Terry Album at moment and it's really good (bit of a Blur vibe in there every now and then, isn't it?). Pity there is no vinyl version though.

I'm still waiting for my copy of "Kentish Longtails", but my Top 10 of 2017 goes like this at the moment:

1. THE JESUS AND MARY CHAIN – Damage & Joy
2. SIDEWALK SOCIETY – Strange Roads
3. LAURA BAIRD – I Wish I Was A Sparrow
4. SHARON JONES & THE DAP-KINGS – Soul Of A Woman
5. MARRY WATERSON & DAVID A. JAYCOCK – Death Had Quicker Wings Than Love
6. PAUL WELLER – A Kind Revolution
7. SNAILS – Safe In Silence
8. PETER PERRETT – How The West Was Won
9. THE MOLOCHS – America's Velvet Glory
10. PHOEBE BRIDGERS – Stranger In The Alps

A very happy and healthy new year everybody!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 01:21:17 PM »
Morning all!

For any of you that love discovering new music, I hope that my annual (but completely subjective!) ramblings about my favourite albums of the year give you some food for thought and entice you to listen to stuff that might otherwise have passed you by.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here are 10 favourite albums of the past 12 months  https://wp.me/p9hY2N-5R and just so it's all on one page - here are numbers 20-11 https://wp.me/p9hY2N-5q

Once again, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all the contributors and readers of the Modculture forum a very happy, healthy and of course, stylish New Year 

Best wishes,

Ian

A great job, Ian, and a lot of future listening pleasures for me, I hope, tho' I've heard bits and pieces of some of the albums you mention (thanks to your previous reviews in some cases). I'm especially grateful to you for putting me again on the track of Michael Head's current output, as I have very fond memories of Shack and the Strands; an outstanding songwriter, indeed.

On the LPs that I've listened to in their entirety, I'd dare to say the Weller álbum, while good and powerful, didn't impress me that much. The Judy Dyble collab, however, is another thing altogether, a fascinating mix of sounds and a lot of evocative songs. In fact, your review prompted me to research her post-Fairport Convention career and I ended up acquiring the magical álbum she made with ex-Them's Jackie McAuley under the Trader Horne moniker (a record that I must admit my missus hates with a passion, too acoustic and slow for her). I recommend her collaboration with would-be King Crimson's members Giles, Gilles & Fripp too.

Well, to end this post I just wanted to remind you that betting is a dreadful vice: not only you lose a fine wool pair of trousers, but of course you will have a bad time swallowing them (may I suggest you cook them before?)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 04:32:22 PM »
As an inveterate listener of depressingly ancient music, I can't really compete with Ian's list, but I think it would be unfair not to mention Chris Hillman's "Bidin' my Time" as one of the best LPs of 2017, not least because it was the last production of the late Tom Petty.

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 02:55:13 PM »
As others are posting lists this would be my fave Albums of the year:-

Wolf Alice – ‘Visions Of A Life’
Alvvays – ‘Antisocialites’
Girl Ray – 'Earl Grey'
Sheer Mag – ‘Need To Feel Your Love’
Arcade Fire – ‘Everything Now’
The War On Drugs – ‘A Deeper Understanding’
Laura Marling – ‘Semper Femina’
Migos - 'Culture'
julian baker - 'turn out the lights'
julie byrne - 'not even happiness'
Charly Bliss - Black Hole
Chris Stapleton - 'Second One To Know'
Not stuck in the 60's

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 07:21:43 PM »
Great list and a lot of stuff to check out for me. I'm listening to the Pete Fij / Terry Album at moment and it's really good (bit of a Blur vibe in there every now and then, isn't it?). Pity there is no vinyl version though.

I'm still waiting for my copy of "Kentish Longtails", but my Top 10 of 2017 goes like this at the moment:

The Peter Perret album is superb.

Not aware of some of the others will check them out.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 07:31:37 PM »

The Peter Perret album is superb.

Not aware of some of the others will check them out.

I have mixed feelings about the Peter Perrett album. He's in top form vocally and lirically but I think the record loses steam as it draws on. Or maybe my attention span isn't what it used to be. Let it be said that the Only Ones are one of my favourite bands ever, maybe I had too high hopes for Perrett's comeback. I'll give it another chance.

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 07:07:34 PM »
Some great/interesting highlights of 2017, I will indulge (deezer) in many of those .
The no.1 album in my list goes to the hardest working musician of 2017 (worked with- Beck,Thomas Walsh,Noel Gallagher. etc)  =  Jason Falkner  (ex jellyfish) and his collaboration from earlier in the year , a masterpiece of lo fi power pop with great song writing and beatlesque harmonies (think- xtc/dukes of stratosphere) , they even add to the fun with a mid album change of tempo covering a late 50's rocker that sounds and swings like a tune from jungle book (original movie).  lend this 1 your ear and go check out there superb respective back catalogues .

make it be -  r stevie moore & Jason Falkner
Yesterday gone - loyle Carner
witness - Benjamin Booker
Universal high - childhood
Wild kingdom - cotton Mather
The underside of power - Algiers
Michael head - adios senor pussycat
as you were - Liam Gallagher
silver lake - pugwash
needles//pins - goodnight,tomorrow. (punk/new wave)
god first - mr jukes
how the west was won - Peter perrett
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 08:23:08 AM by Rocketman »

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 09:22:53 PM »
Had a wee listen to the Jason Faulkner album on the strength of his time in Jellyfish. Reminds me a bit of Mathew Sweet. Can see the Beck influence too. Quite a back catalogue of collaborations and production duties.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 10:58:34 AM »
Had a wee listen to the Jason Faulkner album on the strength of his time in Jellyfish. Reminds me a bit of Mathew Sweet. Can see the Beck influence too. Quite a back catalogue of collaborations and production duties.

Matthew Sweet has always been on top of my power pop list, the records he made in the early-mid noughties belong rightly to the canon (esp. "100 % fun" and "Girlfriend") and that was my soundtrack at the time, much more than britpop. Those records still move me. So I'll check out that Faulkner guy, Woody, tho' it's almost impossible to reach Sweet's 90s level (even MS himself couldn't bring the magic back, tho' he still makes decent records).