Author Topic: MY GENERATION 1960s DOCUMENTARY!  (Read 2176 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
MY GENERATION 1960s DOCUMENTARY!
« on: January 30, 2018, 01:16:02 PM »
Michael Caine is fronting a new documentary to be released in a month or so. People like Mary Quant, Lulu, Roger Daltrey, Paul McCartney, David Bailey, David Puttnam and tons more will be featured talking about the decade that I know most of us have a great interest in. Can't wait as from the names involved it will be covering film, music, photography, design and all the things which transformed life in the UK and later the whole World. An NFT screening coming up too with Caine himself but doubt tickets will be in abundance for that. Fingers crossed though.
TRAILER
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6264954/videogallery?ref_=tt_pv_vi_sm
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:29:19 PM by Martin G »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: MY GENERATION 1960s DOCUMENTARY!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 04:26:45 PM »
Michael Caine is fronting a new documentary to be released in a month or so. People like Mary Quant, Lulu, Roger Daltrey, Paul McCartney, David Bailey, David Puttnam and tons more will be featured talking about the decade that I know most of us have a great interest in. Can't wait as from the names involved it will be covering film, music, photography, design and all the things which transformed life in the UK and later the whole World. An NFT screening coming up too with Caine himself but doubt tickets will be in abundance for that. Fingers crossed though.
TRAILER
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6264954/videogallery?ref_=tt_pv_vi_sm

Saw it mentioned in the main site, and yes it looks like required viewing. A pity I can't attend the screening, disadvantages of living in the periphery. Good luck with the tickets, Martin.

Mutley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:05:49 PM »
Looks class, can't wait for that.
If you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink.

Claretbluemod

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 08:02:43 PM »
I've seen it here in Italy by the end of January (it was in selected cinemas from 22nd to 29th)... I would STRONGLY recommend it! A must see (on the big screen) and a pleasure for anyone with an interest in the 60s  ;) Michael Caine was/is absolutely class and ...Jean Shrimpton stunning!
Broad minds, narrow ties

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 10:36:07 PM »
Certainly looks like required viewing . Reminds me a wee bit of the Lambert and Stamp film with its stunning period sections. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 02:18:05 PM »
Went to see this last night at NFT with Michael Caine and the film's director doing the Q&A and yeah it's well worth checking out, particularly on the big screen it looks (and sounds) stunning.  Some of the footage I've seen before (particuarly the music clips) but there is a lot of unseen material as well.  In the Q&A the director said that he wanted to avoid the usual stuff that turns up on 60s docs and spent 2 years researching material.  A lot of it came from the filmmaker Peter Whitehead who has an archive of unseen rushes from the 60's.  It was revealed that there is going to be a TV series as well soon which will use a lot of further interviews and clips that couldn't make the final cut of the film.

Sir Michael was on great form, particularly considering he broke his ankle earlier this week and had to be wheeled in and out of the theatre on a wheelchair.  Still it was his 85th birthday and following the Q&A the audience sang him happy birthday!  I've got to say it's not every day I can say I've sang happy birthday to Michael Caine (well along with about 400 others).. :D  Unfortunately I was unable to blag my way into the aftershow party which was attended by the likes of Paul McCartney, Sandie Shaw and Twiggy....

The film is now showing at selected cinemas - https://www.mygenerationmovie.co.uk/

There is also an associated exhibition in Carnaby Street until 21 March - https://www.carnaby.co.uk/news-and-events/exclusive-my-generation-exhibition-launches-in-carnaby/#nogo - and a Q&A with photographer Terry O'Neill on Monday afternoon (prize draw for tickets)- https://www.carnaby.co.uk/promotions-and-competitions/win-tickets-to-exclusive-qandas-with-my-generation/

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 03:59:08 PM »
Saw this last night at The Duke Of Yorks in Brighton with a live link to the Q&A at the BFI

Thoroughly enjoyable evening & Mr Micklewhite is still a great raconteur !

Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »
I just cross fingers so it has a decent international distribution and make it to these shores, but honestly I don't think it happens, so I'll try to get my hands the DVD edition at a later stage.

BTW, Sir Michael Caine was born the same year as my father!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 07:28:58 PM »
Nice run down of the evening mate. Max and I blew out and were a bit disheartened to have to see it at a local flea pit. Will wait for the DVD. I'm guessing that you mention Peter Whitehead he of Rolling Stones fame yeah? Will try and dob into the exhibition Saturday. Nice one mate.

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 01:12:47 PM »
Nice run down of the evening mate. Max and I blew out and were a bit disheartened to have to see it at a local flea pit. Will wait for the DVD. I'm guessing that you mention Peter Whitehead he of Rolling Stones fame yeah? Will try and dob into the exhibition Saturday. Nice one mate.

Yeah, the one and same Peter Whitehead.  If you're up town on Saturday Curzon Bloomsbury is showing the film with the pre-recorded Q&A as well.  It's well worth seeing on the big screen.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:15:04 PM by Number 6 »