Author Topic: The Who live at the Fillmore East '68  (Read 693 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
The Who live at the Fillmore East '68
« on: February 15, 2018, 06:53:13 PM »
I know Dave has mentioned this in the MC site, but I'd like to add my two cents to his comments, cos' I have a soft spot for these recordings. In fact, I've owned bootlegs of the Who's Fillmore East '68 recordings (in one format or another) since I was 20.

Here's a band at the peak of their considerable powers, before the Tommy's mess (I know many here won't agree, but though I love some "Tommy''s songs, for me it's a low point in the Who's career: a badly conceived idea, a weak concept and a double album with too much filler. As Nik Cohn acutely perceived the Who were first and foremost a singles band, a pity Townshend had other ideas) and just some months after their best LP, the closest they were to a masterpiece in that format, "The Who sell out". Had the Fillmore tapes been published after they were recorded, as Lambert & Stamp intended (instead they hastily put together a so-so compilation, "Magic Bus"), I'm sure the LP would be hailed today as one of the top ten live albums in rock story, up there with "Live at the Apollo", the Johnny Cash "prison" concerts or "Kick out the Jams".

"Live at Leeds", raw and powerful as it is, belongs fully to the 70s. The 60s pop-art guerrilla we love is far better represented by the Fillmore tapes. Just the covers of Eddie Cochran and Johnny Kidd alone are worth the price of admission, but they're nicely rounded up with faithful renditions of classic Who stuff (including of course "My generation" and "I can't explain").

The sound in the bootlegs I own is pretty good to start with, so I hope the remastering of the original tapes will enhance or at least won't diminish the unbridled, explosive energy of the performances. If you haven't heard these tapes, you're in for a treat, and if you know them, you sure understand why they're so special.

The reissue is due next april, but I've already pre-ordered my copy.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: The Who live at the Fillmore East '68
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 07:48:11 PM »
I would agree with you on Tommy , it does have it's moments but it is nowhere near my favourite Who album . Although it did make the Who into milllionaires  , it is something for the masses really of that time . I recall the basic types at school thought it was superb but when I saw it l thought the movie was cringe worthy .

However , as far as A Sell Out is concerned I would disagree , it is an album l avoided buying for years because a fellow fan told me it was s**t . Eventually I bought the cd version only to find my fellow fan was completely accurate with his assessment. .

The Filamore gig does sound promising however and I will deffinately get a copy . .then we can come back here and discuss it. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Claretbluemod

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:19:52 PM »

The 60s pop-art guerrilla we love is far better represented by the Fillmore tapes. Just the covers of Eddie Cochran and Johnny Kidd alone are worth the price of admission, but they're nicely rounded up with faithful renditions of classic Who stuff (including of course "My generation" and "I can't explain").

That's enough for me.... I'll definitely get hold of a copy!  8) (on vinyl , I hope)
Broad minds, narrow ties

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 09:34:38 PM »

The 60s pop-art guerrilla we love is far better represented by the Fillmore tapes. Just the covers of Eddie Cochran and Johnny Kidd alone are worth the price of admission, but they're nicely rounded up with faithful renditions of classic Who stuff (including of course "My generation" and "I can't explain").

That's enough for me.... I'll definitely get hold of a copy!  8) (on vinyl , I hope)

Yes vinyl would be good. .

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:01:49 AM »
Good news for you, gents: there'll be a vinyl edition.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 10:09:06 AM »
Had the Fillmore tapes been published after they were recorded, as Lambert & Stamp intended (instead they hastily put together a so-so compilation, "Magic Bus"), I'm sure the LP would be hailed today as one of the top ten live albums in rock story, up there with "Live at the Apollo", the Johnny Cash "prison" concerts or "Kick out the Jams".

A quick listen to the album (my copy arrived just yesterday) reinforces my conviction, as the sound is crystal clear. The Who firing on all cylinders before dragging the heavy "Tommy" load. TBH, a half an hour versión of "My Generation" is something even diehard fans won't be listening to on repeat, but the other couple jams work better than most of similar contemporary attempts by San Francisco bands.

The only downside is that the engineers couldn't rescue "Substitute" and "Pictures of Lily" (the 2 first songs from the show) from tape damage.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 10:33:13 PM »
Had the Fillmore tapes been published after they were recorded, as Lambert & Stamp intended (instead they hastily put together a so-so compilation, "Magic Bus"), I'm sure the LP would be hailed today as one of the top ten live albums in rock story, up there with "Live at the Apollo", the Johnny Cash "prison" concerts or "Kick out the Jams".

A quick listen to the album (my copy arrived just yesterday) reinforces my conviction, as the sound is crystal clear. The Who firing on all cylinders before dragging the heavy "Tommy" load. TBH, a half an hour versión of "My Generation" is something even diehard fans won't be listening to on repeat, but the other couple jams work better than most of similar contemporary attempts by San Francisco bands.

The only downside is that the engineers couldn't rescue "Substitute" and "Pictures of Lily" (the 2 first songs from the show) from tape damage.
The best version of Substitute is the one on Live at Leeds , just after Moon tells part of the crowd to put their cigarettes out. .