Author Topic: Back to the 60s cafe.  (Read 1680 times)

Essexmark

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the 60s cafe.
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
Hmmm. I'm a Colchester resident, but to be honest I think I'll give it a miss. Seeing some of the sights in Colchester, it will be full of fat blokes in Parkas.. ;)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 01:35:13 PM »
I can see what you're saying mate. Like many of these 'Era' themed places it does all get a bit cheesey whether it be a 50s Rock N Roll Diner with staff dressed up like they are in HAPPY DAYS or something like this. Fair play to the proprietors to do something along these lines but as we've noted if they can't get a picture of the band they consider as the definitive Mod/60s band right you do kinda know what the potential clientele will be like. I guess as well with all the Targets and stuff you know what you are in for but if the food is decent and it draws a few punters off the street good luck to 'em.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:47:03 PM by Martin G »

Essexmark

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 01:46:17 PM »
Agree Martin, and as you say fair play to them. If it was less targets, and more Soho1959 it might be of interest to me, but then it wouldn't bring the masses in...

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »
Just re-read the article too and see the two owners are getting married. I'm hoping the lady doesn't want to keep her maiden name and simply add his on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went to the refurbished 2Is a while back in Soho and although there are few nice photos and the original wall now revealed it was a bit cheesey too.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:49:19 PM by Martin G »

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 02:21:08 PM »
Just re-read the article too and see the two owners are getting married. I'm hoping the lady doesn't want to keep her maiden name and simply add his on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went to the refurbished 2Is a while back in Soho and although there are few nice photos and the original wall now revealed it was a bit cheesey too.

A Street Walker caff wid probably be saucy rather than cheesy so mibbe they should jist let the lady concerned take control ay the family business goin' forward.

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 04:34:57 PM »
Although I prefer my 60s cafe to look like a 60s cafe and be a 60s cafe,  I say Good luck to them.  Nice to see people fulfilling their dreams. I'll pop in for some Spam if I'm in the area.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 04:48:38 PM »
Agree Martin, and as you say fair play to them. If it was less targets, and more Soho1959 it might be of interest to me, but then it wouldn't bring the masses in...

Now that you mention it, Mark, I know at least 3 places like that; not exactly Soho 1959, but somehow recreating that late 50s-early 60s ambience.

Two of them are in my hometown: first there's a bar called "Congo" (even the name recalls that era) and it's one of the new "cafés" that opened here at the tail end of the 50s, so added bonus for authenticity. It had turned into a well cherished but dilapidated haunt till some years ago it was refurbished with a subtle retro feeling that preserved well the charm of the old place. The other is a new restaurant-club besides the beach and called "Marina Beach Club" (again reminiscent of California/Miami 60s joints). Not so downright retro as the "Congo" but obviously inspired in midcentury modernist architecture with a lot of wood and tables/chairs that recall scandinavian designers.

The third place of this ilk I know is a "tapas" bar in Pamplona, up in Navarra. The name eludes me right now, but it's a close cousin of the "Congo".

The 3 places are a joy to behold and you easily feel there that you've moved back in time. And I'm sure the UK has its share of joints like those.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 06:47:36 PM »
Agree with all comments. There are a few old cafes, Pie and Mash or Fish and Chip shops I know that have hardly changed from the 1960s/'70s and they are far more preferable than a 'themed' establishment as long as the food is good too of course. However The Street Walker cafe does have a nice ring to it!