Author Topic: I'M ONE OF THE CARDIE-GANG!  (Read 2770 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
I'M ONE OF THE CARDIE-GANG!
« on: February 23, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »
As discussed of late the whole controversy surrounding the dreaded, or not, Cardigan amongst our merry band. Not much of a picture poster as you know but wanted to show, I hope, that even a fella in his mid 50s can pull off a cardie without looking too much like a Grandad. As promised to GS the Smart Weston vintage corduroy fronted one. Then a GUS from ART GALLERY both accompanied with a Mikkell Rude shirt and LVC 501s. Then a cheap as you like eBay Shawl Collar about £20 a few years back with a Uniqlo sweat. Finally a Zara zipper cardie that I liked as it reminded me a bit of the ones from OUR MAN FLINT but finding it increasingly reminds me of a 'Casual' trackie top. Anyhow cardies for every occassion and not just Christmas!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:22:51 PM by Martin G »

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
Re: I'M ONE OF THE CARDIE-GANG!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »
Bring this man his pipe and slippers. And a big bag of toffees for when the grand kids come over!

Actually well done for posting pics Martin. Iíve never been much of a fan of knitwear and donít have much need for it here. We had a cold snap for about a week at the end of Jan and itís been in the mid eighties this week.  Cardigans are one of those things that just donít attract me but I can still admire a decent casual look in others. Also this variety in opinion means we arenít all a bunch of polyester suited clones in Jam shoes, like a slightly more updated Teds convention.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:01:38 PM »
You look good in your cardies Martin , l reckon you don't look as old as you are .

My personal favourite is the AG but the others are fine too . I own two cardies at the moment , one in merino and one made of Shetland variety .  Thanks for posting Martin , I haven't quite go the hang if that yet. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 08:23:38 AM »
Rod: Agreed mate good that everyone doesn't look the same but all still follow a general pattern of style or 'look'. Of course despite your opinion of knitwear in general your climate must play a factor in decisions for clobber so am currently very jealous of what you are having to 'endure' at the moment fella. To be honest I don't live and die in cardigans but it was an interesting topic that came up here and it dawned on me I have quite a few. I also have a burgundy shawl collar like the blue one too BTW.

Simon: Thanks mate. I am a few weeks shy of 54. (Hearing that still surprises me as it has probably every year from about 40) I guess I have a good make-up man! The GUS is very nice and I am thinking of getting the fawn reverse coloured version too. Great mob to deal with as well and I do know a few of the guys who model for them but doubt that I will be getting a call to join them!! BTW if you want a picture posted at all message me and we can sort something easy. Not the easiest of things but under GS' guidance even I managed it.

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 10:12:56 AM »
I've got one of these.  It looks like a knitted jacket but the lapels can be folded in and it then buttons up a bit like a yardie cardie  :)

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/men-milano-ribbed-jacket-403580.html?dwvar_403580_size=SMA002&dwvar_403580_color=COL69&cgid=IDm-cardigans
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 10:58:00 AM »
Corduroy fronted yin is a belter Martin.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 01:33:41 PM »
Corduroy fronted yin is a belter Martin.

I was thinking just the same, a beauty, no one's making this kind of knits nowadays. That said, I'm not sure if it would suit me, but it looks good on Martin. The GUS one is stunning too and the shawl collared ones are a classic. But then you know I'm partial to a nice-looking cardie (maybe it's because I'm roughly Martin age). BTW, bravo for posting, Martin.

Rod, I understand your point of view re. cardigans, but what with other kinds of knitwear?, I know you like pique polos and cycling shirts, so why not knitted tops? Apart from the weather issue, of course.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 06:17:11 PM »
Cheers Laird and GS! Yep I do love the Smart Weston cord fronted jobbie. Bought it 7 or 8 years back from a vintage clothes dealer now trading on Facebook as WATCH THE CLOTH MOTH. Top bloke Michael Ferrante known by many. I always think it looks like something Jeff Tracy would have worn in THUNDERBIRDS. Thanks again GS for the tuition on picture posting. I still keep it to hand. Ady that is a great bit of knitwear too and yet another example of UNIQLO putting some interesting stuff out there for blokes into our kind of thing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:19:52 PM by Martin G »

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 10:47:17 AM »
What a good way to compare clothes. Thumbs up for sharing this.
I like the last one best
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 01:17:26 PM »
No worry mate. TBH I wasn't sure what I was doing really but GS sent me a through 'Picture Posting For Idiots' and it seemed to work alright especially for the old compare and contrast aspect of this posting. Yeah The Zara one was a heads up from GS too. Quality is really nice as well for the price as I got it for £20 or something I think.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:15:10 PM by Martin G »