Author Topic: Pop Or Not?  (Read 1791 times)

roundmidnight2

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Pop Or Not?
« on: March 06, 2018, 12:46:10 PM »
Hello, another of those hard questions we all have to face:
if you are wearing a coat, do you pop the collar or wear it down? I don´t mind the look of it and think it can liven up what can be an otherwise too compact piece of clothing (think dark winter coats for example) but it just feels too...extrovert.
And what about rugby shirts? I´ve got a nice striped one from Gant with contrasting colours at the back of the collar which seems to indicate that it has been designed to be worn collar up and again I think it looks good when i try it, but at the same time it feels like you´d need blond highlights and stonewashed jeans to truly pull it off.
I know we´re all individuals and in any case where I live it´s very unlikely that I´d run into a pack of mods who would question my sartorial tastes but would love to hear the views of my fellow forumees.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
Re: Pop Or Not?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »
If I had a big ulster collared overcoat or trench coat or pea coat I would stand the collar up on a cold and wet day more for function than for style.
Wouldn’t do it on a rugby or polo shirt. Some people do it on a brutally sunny day to stop from burning. Again that’s more for function than for style. You do you!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »
A coat collar/lapel being up or partially up as mentioned on a garment like a Pea Coat, mac or a Harrington I am totally comfortable with as it is kinda part of the functionality of it to keep out the elements. However a Levi/Trucker type thing will just make you look like Shaking Stevens and for me a Polo type top just makes you look a stone washed bleached blonde prat as you say.

roundmidnight2

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 01:54:38 PM »
a Polo type top just makes you look a stone washed bleached blonde prat as you say.

And that is my problem - I think it looks better turned up but that is what it´s associated with. I stand in front of the mirror with the collar nonchalantly flipped and  there´s a voice in my head saying "This is wrong you know, you shouldn´t do this".

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 02:00:05 PM »
As well as your football yob type I've noticed that posh people tend to wear their polo shirts with the collar up. Have a walk around Chelsea or Bond street in the summer and you'll see what I mean. Women and men alike. It's like a posh identifier. A bit like those red or yellow trousers public school educated types wear with jackets and tie. I don't know if they see it as a posh uniform but it so is.

http://lookatmyf**kingredtrousers.blogspot.co.uk/
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 02:01:59 PM »
I don't know where you are geographically but certainly for me in and around London it is the look of a bit of a chump in my opinion. Generally sported by the sort of bloke who thinks he is "a bit of a tasty geezer" if you know what I mean. However you feel comfortable that is down to your good self.

roundmidnight2

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 02:17:25 PM »
Yes, I see what you mean. On the other hand, I think the direction of the collar can make a big difference because of head-and neckshape and for me it works better that way. At least that is what I think myself, I have never asked for a second opinion from anyone I know.

Essexmark

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »
I do it on my JTG raincoat, and on my Gloverall Reefer, for function against the elements but on a polo, nope. I don't want to look like some high street trendy thank you very much...

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 07:50:37 PM »
Agree with most comments here. The stand up collar in a polo not only looks aesthetically wrong to me, but worse, you see it increasingly in posh/wannabes a plenty here. In fact, it stands to the practical reason Rod mentions -not burning your neck-, as a golf player explained to me, but it looks wrong.

A raised coat collar, however, can look very cool besides being practical.

That said, if you think it works for you, go ahead.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 08:14:42 PM »

Never wi' a shirt.

Put ma coat collar up if it's windy or pishin' doon wi' rain.