Author Topic: Shel Talmy  (Read 978 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Shel Talmy
« on: March 11, 2018, 01:12:13 PM »
This upcoming comp (in CD or vinyl) will surely appeal to many gents here. Shel Talmy's mid 60 british productions are the stuff of legend, and just his work with the Kinks and the Who would be enough to guarantee him a place in the modernist pantheon.

His output with own label Planet has begun to see the light of day slowly but surely during the last decades, but it looks that there's still a lot to be dug, as I didn't know a lot of the tracks on offer here. Anyway being an Ace/Big Beat compilation, you know what to expect: engaging and informative liner notes and superb sound.

https://acerecords.co.uk/planet-mod-brit-soul-rb-and-freakbeat-from-the-shel-talmy-vaults

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Shel Talmy
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 11:25:37 PM »
Looks great! Had no idea his work was so varied.  8)

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 01:37:18 PM »
Talmy's contribution to music history shouldn't be underestimated, totally agree with GS he's a legend for his work with the Kinks and the Who alone.  When ‘You Really Got Me’ was released there really had been nothing like it heard before. And, personally, ‘MY GENERATION’ is the definitive Who LP, forget ‘WHO’S NEXT’ and ‘QUADROPHENIA’! :D. Not to mention THE CREATION who’s lack of success (outside of Germany) Talmy said was his biggest regret.

Talmy also produced the soundtrack music for an obscure B-movie ' BE MY GUEST' which starred David Hemmings and Steve Marriott (who looks about 15) as members of a beat group trying to win a talent contest.  Bizarrely Marriott doesn't sing or play guitar in the film, the only appearance of the 'group' has him miming drums in a Moon-esque fashion to a surf tune.  Other than Marriott's appearance the highlight of the film for me is the performance of the Talmy-produced 'She Laughed' by THE ZEPHYRS, a b-side from '65.

Nb any idea on the identity of the band on the cover of the comp?  I reckon it could be A WILD UNCERTAINTY who had a very Mod image and one of whom, Eddie Hardin, went on to join the SPENCER DAVIS GROUP.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:25:32 PM by Number 6 »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 10:41:33 PM »
Talmy's contribution to music history shouldn't be underestimated, totally agree with GS he's a legend for his work with the Kinks and the Who alone.  When ‘You Really Got Me’ was released there really had been nothing like it heard before. And, personally, ‘MY GENERATION’ is the definitive Who LP, forget ‘WHO’S NEXT’ and ‘QUADROPHENIA’! :D. Not to mention THE CREATION who’s lack of success (outside of Germany) Talmy said was his biggest regret.

Talmy also produced the soundtrack music for an obscure B-movie ' BE MY GUEST' which starred David Hemmings and Steve Marriott (who looks about 15) as members of a beat group trying to win a talent contest.  Bizarrely Marriott doesn't sing or play guitar in the film, the only appearance of the 'group' has him miming drums in a Moon-esque fashion to a surf tune.  Other than Marriott's appearance the highlight of the film for me is the performance of the Talmy-produced 'She Laughed' by THE ZEPHYRS, a b-side from '65.

Nb any idea on the identity of the band on the cover of the comp?  I reckon it could be A WILD UNCERTAINTY who had a very Mod image and one of whom, Eddie Hardin, went on to join the SPENCER DAVIS GROUP.

Some interesting trivia there, n6! And let's not forget that Talmy was a multifaceted producer too, with a key part in the foundations of british folk-rock via the first Pentangle LPs. On this subject I've found a really enlightening interview with him:

http://www.richieunterberger.com/talmyfolk.html

Not sure if the band of the comp's cover is A Wild Uncertainty, but if someone wants to study the case, here are the guys:

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »
Interesting interview, GS.  I don't know too much about Talmy's post mid-60's work other than with PENTANGLE (or his earlier work with the likes of THE BACHELORS :o); I do however remember when he worked with THE FUZZTONES in the 80s  :D

Another bit of trivia; virtually every band he worked with in the mid-60s recorded 'Bald Headed Woman' which, of course, he wrote.  Including a band from Sweden called THE HEP STARS, who were one of the most popular bands in Sweden and included a certain Benny Andersson who would go on to form ABBA...therefore Shel Talmy could be partly responsible for the foundation of ABBA... ???

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »

Off topic (apologies!) Have you seen the first one, LIVE IT UP?  Marriott is also the drummer in the band in that one (for some reason David Hemmings is lead singer and guitarist).  Musical score by Joe Meek, another legendary producer.  Both films are often of Talking Pictures freeview channel, as is Dateline Diamonds which isn't a very good film.

The Talmy comp. does look a good 'un, though.
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 07:13:47 PM »

Off topic (apologies!) Have you seen the first one, LIVE IT UP?  Marriott is also the drummer in the band in that one (for some reason David Hemmings is lead singer and guitarist).

So you could say he was truly typecast!  ;D. Luckily, soon after he went for for a guitar, and the rest is history.

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 09:18:51 PM »
Not seen LIVE IT UP for years, but will try to catch it if it’s onTalkning Pictures.  Hemmings and Marriott play the same characters, hence the typecasting.

I don’t mind DATELINE DIAMONDS, bit of an obvious plotline but for me worth watching for the Small Faces appearance and Ken Cope in an uncharacteristic straight-ish role.

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 09:31:42 PM »

Off topic (apologies!) Have you seen the first one, LIVE IT UP?  Marriott is also the drummer in the band in that one (for some reason David Hemmings is lead singer and guitarist).

So you could say he was truly typecast!  ;D. Luckily, soon after he went for for a guitar, and the rest is history.

By the time the BE MY GUEST was released Marriott had already released a single with the Moments - a cover of ‘You Really Got Me’. The film was released in March ‘65 but I guess it was filmed late 64/early 65.  So he’d probably already met Ronnie Lane.

Edit: according to Keith Badman/Terry Rawlings’ book the, as yet unnamed, Small Faces formed in January ‘65.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:51:41 AM by Number 6 »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 10:22:32 AM »

By the time the BE MY GUEST was released Marriott had already released a single with the Moments - a cover of ‘You Really Got Me’. The film was released in March ‘65 but I guess it was filmed late 64/early 65.  So he’d probably already met Ronnie Lane.

Edit: according to Keith Badman/Terry Rawlings’ book the, as yet unnamed, Small Faces formed in January ‘65.

I guess early '65 was kind of a crossroads' time for Marriott. With the benefit of hindsight, he was wise to put his love of music first and relegate his acting career, and we're lucky for that. But it's fascinating to speculate how that acting career would have evolved: from "the band's drummer" to "best friend of the hero" to finally "that lovely cockney supporting actor"? TBH, Marriott lacked the looks or the physique of a film star, but he was the perfect pop star.