Author Topic: Shel Talmy  (Read 396 times)

Number 6

• View Profile
Re: Shel Talmy
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 02:01:56 PM »

Off topic (apologies!) Have you seen the first one, LIVE IT UP?  Marriott is also the drummer in the band in that one (for some reason David Hemmings is lead singer and guitarist).

So you could say he was truly typecast!  ;D. Luckily, soon after he went for for a guitar, and the rest is history.

By the time the BE MY GUEST was released Marriott had already released a single with the Moments - a cover of ‘You Really Got Me’. The film was released in March ‘65 but I guess it was filmed late 64/early 65.  So he’d probably already met Ronnie Lane.

Edit: according to Keith Badman/Terry Rawlings’ book the, as yet unnamed, Small Faces formed in January ‘65.

I guess early '65 was kind of a crossroads' time for Marriott. With the benefit of hindsight, he was wise to put his love of music first and relegate his acting career, and we're lucky for that. But it's fascinating to speculate how that acting career would have evolved: from "the band's drummer" to "best friend of the hero" to finally "that lovely cockney supporting actor"? TBH, Marriott lacked the looks or the physique of a film star, but he was the perfect pop star.

Yeah, cheap British B-flicks loss was the rest of ours gain! ;)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: Shel Talmy
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 07:55:15 PM »

Off topic (apologies!) Have you seen the first one, LIVE IT UP?  Marriott is also the drummer in the band in that one (for some reason David Hemmings is lead singer and guitarist).

So you could say he was truly typecast!  ;D. Luckily, soon after he went for for a guitar, and the rest is history.

By the time the BE MY GUEST was released Marriott had already released a single with the Moments - a cover of ‘You Really Got Me’. The film was released in March ‘65 but I guess it was filmed late 64/early 65.  So he’d probably already met Ronnie Lane.

Edit: according to Keith Badman/Terry Rawlings’ book the, as yet unnamed, Small Faces formed in January ‘65.

I guess early '65 was kind of a crossroads' time for Marriott. With the benefit of hindsight, he was wise to put his love of music first and relegate his acting career, and we're lucky for that. But it's fascinating to speculate how that acting career would have evolved: from "the band's drummer" to "best friend of the hero" to finally "that lovely cockney supporting actor"? TBH, Marriott lacked the looks or the physique of a film star, but he was the perfect pop star.

I get the line you are going down but , Tom Cruise is a wee guy. . 8)
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!