Author Topic: John Simons  (Read 741 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
John Simons
« on: April 23, 2018, 03:15:08 PM »
An interesting interview with Jason Jules (of Drake's fame) focused on John Simons and the timeless allure of the Ivy League look:

http://putthison.com/post/173105671013/talking-to-jason-jules-about-john-simons-patron/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: John Simons
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 03:58:48 PM »
Got the DVD Friday. Been struggling not to watch it as I am going to the screening up in London with the crew and John himself on Friday. Will report back once viewed and evening enjoyed. I was actually taken to THE IVY SHOP as a kid in the late 1960s by my Uncle who was a London Mod and always kept elements of that style about him even when the facial hair and longer locks began for him. I frequented the Covent Garden store myself in the early '80s when I was drifting a little away from the 'Mod' look and heading more toward that Style Council way of dressing I guess many of us did before settling on what we probably still wear now. Always an expensive shop and I think I bought maybe a couple of shirts, a sweat shirt and a pair of shoes with Birthday money and that was about it. However I worked close by and not a day went by that I never at least gaze in the window of the shop thinking "If only I earned more". I'm still doing that with the Chiltern St shop too 30 years later!!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 04:05:00 PM »
Got the DVD Friday. Been struggling not to watch it as I am going to the screening up in London with the crew and John himself on Friday. Will report back once viewed and evening enjoyed. I was actually taken to THE IVY SHOP as a kid in the late 1960s by my Uncle who was a London Mod and always kept elements of that style about him even when the facial hair and longer locks began for him. I frequented the Covent Garden store myself in the early '80s when I was drifting a little away from the 'Mod' look and heading more toward that Style Council way of dressing I guess many of us did before settling on what we probably still wear now. Always an expensive shop and I think I bought maybe a couple of shirts, a sweat shirt and a pair of shoes with Birthday money and that was about it. However I worked close by and not a day went by that I never at least gaze in the window of the shop thinking "If only I earned more". I'm still doing that with the Chiltern St shop too 30 years later!!

Great memories, Martin, I wish I could attend the screening too, enjoy.

leeboy

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »
Got the DVD and watched yesterday - quite well done and I thought the talking heads contributions were well chosen. Soundtrack choice was excellent

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »
Struggling even more not to watch it hearing other folk are enjoying it. 'Be strong Mart! Be strong!"

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 04:58:13 PM »
Struggling even more not to watch it hearing other folk are enjoying it. 'Be strong Mart! Be strong!"

Think yourself lucky - I'm trying to resist watching it until the Brighton screening on 9th June   :o ::)
Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 06:21:04 PM »
Blimey good luck with that fella!

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 11:51:21 AM »
Will have to put my fingers in my ears when that pompous Tory prat Dylan Jones has his say!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 09:20:15 AM »
A little bit of a report in on the screening last night. First off the film itself is fantastic. A nicely put together heartfelt tribute piece dedicated to a guy we have all likely been influenced by to some extent if we realise it or not. As should be the case John himself is featured throughout offering anecdotes and thoughts of his early ventures into the clothing business as well as his earliest influences ranging from his own family to music, design and art. He is taken to the locations of his various shops over the years too giving insight into life in London at the given time. A good balance of 'celeb' customers, style commentators but 'Joe Public' punters too. All of whom give some really touching and fascinating opinions on John and the clothes he championed in London during the 1960s usually from the far flung shores of America and Europe. Many faces familiar to me in the audience ranging from guys I nod out too at 'Mod' events, some from football and even some from the Cult TV circuit all of whom have been drawn to the style of clothing John has purveyed for over half a century. Fantastic music after the screening and QA too in the luxurious lounge/bar courtesy of Paul 'Smiler' Anderson and the likes of Paul Weller and Martin Freeman mingled freely amongst what I have to say is possibly the best dressed crowd of folk I have been amongst for many years. I rate the film highly and the event was top class. If any of you with even half an interest in Ivy League style, John's story or the London Mod/Skin/Suede head scene it's worth nabbing or trying to get to one of the remaining screenings in London, Bristol and Brighton.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 09:55:54 AM »
A little bit of a report in on the screening last night. First off the film itself is fantastic. A nicely put together heartfelt tribute piece dedicated to a guy we have all likely been influenced by to some extent if we realise it or not. As should be the case John himself is featured throughout offering anecdotes and thoughts of his early ventures into the clothing business as well as his earliest influences ranging from his own family to music, design and art. He is taken to the locations of his various shops over the years too giving insight into life in London at the given time. A good balance of 'celeb' customers, style commentators but 'Joe Public' punters too. All of whom give some really touching and fascinating opinions on John and the clothes he championed in London during the 1960s usually from the far flung shores of America and Europe. Many faces familiar to me in the audience ranging from guys I nod out too at 'Mod' events, some from football and even some from the Cult TV circuit all of whom have been drawn to the style of clothing John has purveyed for over half a century. Fantastic music after the screening and QA too in the luxurious lounge/bar courtesy of Paul 'Smiler' Anderson and the likes of Paul Weller and Martin Freeman mingled freely amongst what I have to say is possibly the best dressed crowd of folk I have been amongst for many years. I rate the film highly and the event was top class. If any of you with even half an interest in Ivy League style, John's story or the London Mod/Skin/Suede head scene it's worth nabbing or trying to get to one of the remaining screenings in London, Bristol and Brighton.

Sounds like a great evening, Martin! I guess I'll have to be content with just the DVD. Out f curiosity, what was your attire for the event, Ivy-influenced clobber?