Author Topic: A way of life  (Read 723 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: A way of life
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 12:11:06 PM »
Those sort of photos do open up a can of worms. There are Mods of the period who we have discussed before who say they wore 'This, this and this' whilst others will say we only wore "That, that and that". Certainly it is well known those '64 scooter/beach fight lads were erring toward the casual gear and sportswear that was available then such as bowling shoes, plimsolls and cycling stuff as well as boating shoes and 'Converse' type boots. However most that wear what could be called 'trainers' seem unbranded but that shot clearly shows the kid wearing spot on three stripe ADIDAS. Fantastic photo though and as I've said before a street I pass regularly and it looks much the same to this day.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 03:36:54 PM »
Those sort of photos do open up a can of worms. There are Mods of the period who we have discussed before who say they wore 'This, this and this' whilst others will say we only wore "That, that and that". Certainly it is well known those '64 scooter/beach fight lads were erring toward the casual gear and sportswear that was available then such as bowling shoes, plimsolls and cycling stuff as well as boating shoes and 'Converse' type boots. However most that wear what could be called 'trainers' seem unbranded but that shot clearly shows the kid wearing spot on three stripe ADIDAS. Fantastic photo though and as I've said before a street I pass regularly and it looks much the same to this day.

I concur, it seems it was the "second" wave of mods (63-64?) who began to relax the dress codes and add sportswear to the "acceptable" gear. Maybe it entailed the dilution of the original modernist style, but it also meant a menswear's revolution.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 04:07:04 PM »
Absolutely agree mate. Although for many observers the Scooter/Street Mod/Beach fighting 'erbert was a death knell to the truly stylish original movement of the late '50s and early 60s it has to be agreed that they became as influential themselves with their adopting and adaptation of sports wear whether it be the tennis shirt, the trainer or cycling zippered jacket. Of course other groups in Europe and the States were doing similar but what we now look upon as 'Terrace/Casual' style certainly has its roots in the '64 Mod period I think.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 04:10:16 PM »
There are a couple of great shots. One from the Peckham Labour Exchange session showing one of the lads in 1964 wearing Adidas trainers.

I spotted the Adidas too, I guess that pic puts an end to the old discussion: are trainers mod gear or not? (not that the matter worries me in the least)

Personally , I rarely wear trainers because around these parts , everyone wears them , from no hair to grey hair. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 04:22:51 PM »
Me neither but it is an interesting point seeing this lad in the photo wearing the ADIDAS pumps. I usually wear shoes and maybe at my most casual some deck shoes but I think the lineage can be traced back to these kids.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 06:53:31 PM »
Absolutely agree mate. Although for many observers the Scooter/Street Mod/Beach fighting 'erbert was a death knell to the truly stylish original movement of the late '50s and early 60s it has to be agreed that they became as influential themselves with their adopting and adaptation of sports wear whether it be the tennis shirt, the trainer or cycling zippered jacket. Of course other groups in Europe and the States were doing similar but what we now look upon as 'Terrace/Casual' style certainly has its roots in the '64 Mod period I think.

Those kids were probably the first in Europe (USA kids of the 50s were more used to wear sneakers out of an sport context) to take sportswear out of the courts or fields and making through it a style statement.

But it's true that as I'm older somehow I've grown out of trainers (I keep a pair of Adidas Gazelles that I rarely wear and some pairs of canvas plimsoles/deck shoes as summer wear), maybe in part, as Simon states, as a reaction against growing dress untidiness around me.