Author Topic: Mod things I've never worn  (Read 1168 times)

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
Re: Mod things I've never worn
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 08:07:22 AM »
Jam/bowling shoes, fringed loafers (tassled or otherwise) and I've never owned an M-51. Nor will I, horrible shapeless things! I would wear a boating blazer if I could find a subtle one, but most I've seen look like f**king deckchairs. Don't get the attraction of Playboys either, though I'm not averse to a Wallabee or Desert Trek. Each to their own, eh?
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 08:27:59 AM »
Ha I knew I would forget some things. Ta for the nudge Simon.
Desert treks, wallabies, NO; playboys, cord shoes, YES.
Can’t see myself ever wanting or needing a cardigan.
Nor anything corduroy.

Sorry for altering your post, Rod  ;)

Subtly patterned -not the deckchair variety, of course- boating blazers look good on paper, but striped jackets are a minefield for me (I love checked patterns however), the only one that convinces me 100% is the traditional seersucker summer number.

I've got lots of tab collar shirts, but these days they don't see much use, as I'm not in need of dressing up so often, and let's be honest, when you've reached a certain age tab collar shirts only make sense with a tie.

Mark1966

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 10:15:04 AM »
As a young Mod revivalist, and one of many in my peer group, I had most of the clothes indicative of that period, never did a Union Jack jacket as didn't like them and never had Jam shoes mainly because everyone else seemed to have them. I have had 3 parkas but stopped wearing one at 17, initially a fake, then a US army "gas rag" (remember them?) then a normal US army parka which I wish I'd kept given the prices I see bandied about these days.

The one thing I wish I had bought when the psych thing hit in 81ish was a "Dr Kildaire" type shirt that buttoned up on the side of the neck.

I've also avoided wearing vintage stuff, even when back in the day second hand shops were rammed with original 60s stuff. Ironically I bought some nice vintage stuff but never wore it!!

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »
Seems I'm similar to most so far , managed to avoid stuff l thought was a bit obvious despite having the parka because it was practical on the scooter. I have never had: JAM SHOES

Don't listen to him.

English Stan

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 03:28:46 PM »
Good thread.

Like most, I wore Jam shoes, badger bowling shoes and army parka back in the day, but have not worn said items since the 80's.

One thing I could never get my head around was the awful cycling tops.  I see this as the dying embers of revival, with mods clinging.  And don't get me started on that god awful PW flick.

Oh yeah, never donned a PW barnett.

Thanks

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 03:42:55 PM »
Seems I'm similar to most so far , managed to avoid stuff l thought was a bit obvious despite having the parka because it was practical on the scooter. I have never had: JAM SHOES

Don't listen to him.
Lol , never had basket weave shoes either . Only ever had one Paisley Pattern shirt that l got in a present once and didn't like , I just wore it around the house . . ;D ;)

I definitely have too many knitted polo's. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

English Stan

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »
Got to love a knitted polo.

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 04:50:14 PM »
Any of the sunglasses Marriott wore. Def not for me... 8)

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 04:59:55 PM »
Good thread.

Like most, I wore Jam shoes, badger bowling shoes and army parka back in the day, but have not worn said items since the 80's.

One thing I could never get my head around was the awful cycling tops.  I see this as the dying embers of revival, with mods clinging.  And don't get me started on that god awful PW flick.

Oh yeah, never donned a PW barnett.

Thanks

I’ve got loads of cycling tops but they’re almost all pique polo style just with the zip collar. I wouldn’t wear one with all the ads and emblems on.

I remember now soon after I joined this forum coming across a thread entitled something like ‘Mod things you hate’ and similar to this thread there was a whole variety of responses until someone chipped in with “so, pretty much everything then?”

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 05:47:53 PM »

I remember now soon after I joined this forum coming across a thread entitled something like ‘Mod things you hate’ and similar to this thread there was a whole variety of responses until someone chipped in with “so, pretty much everything then?”

Yesss, that was the thread I was talking about, thanks Rod.

Oh, and I concur with mr Bond re. basket weave shoes, too close to pensioner gear for my tastes.

Cycling tops I've got my fair share of them, some with emblems some without. I like the look of them, they're classic sportswear, but I have to admit they don't suit too well middle-aged fellas (and avoid at all costs muscle fit, ya hear me?)