Author Topic: GDPR and the forum  (Read 2600 times)

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
GDPR and the forum
« on: May 07, 2018, 07:02:56 PM »
Hi all,
I will keep this as brief and as clear as I can. Basically GDPR comes into effect later this month and it will have an impact on this forum as well as all others.

Every action online needs explicit consent and every cookie used, IP address logged, every link out etc will need to be checked and all data accessible by me as I will need to be in a position to either delete it or locate if as required by the individual concerned. In short, this is hell for forums.

With huge fines and vague legislation, Iím not in a position to take it on as it stands. So it looks like I will have to kill off the forum unless I get advice to the contrary. It isnít what I want to do as I know some of you love the place. But I canít see any other option. I just donít have the resources to keep on top of it all.

Iíll update you as and when I know more.
Thanks,
Dave
Owner/dogsbody - Modculture

charliebravo69

• Modernist, Cyclist, Pissartist
    • View Profile
Re: GDPR and the forum
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 07:47:11 PM »
that's s**t news Dave. hope it doesn't come to this, the MC forum has been part of my online activity for over 15 years now and it would be such a shame to see it go like this.

Hopefully there is someone out there who can give you the right advice and the forum can carry on

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 07:49:51 PM »
I think the issue is that no one really knows fully what the impact will be. But the fines are huge so itís not something I want to consider if it comes to that. Just a Ďmare all round.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 08:32:36 PM »
No really a techie person, but as ah understand it the main concern occurs whaur sites like this yin retain IP addresses n' the like.

Wid a way round it be tae ask aw us users tae "opt in" n' agree that oor data kin be used by the forum?

Couple ay discussion threads oan the topic via these links if they help:

https://www.webmasterworld.com/analytics/4877103.htm]]https://www.webmasterworld.com/analytics/4877103.htm

https://www.webmasterworld.com/foo/4884699.htm
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:34:24 PM by The Laird of Enfield »

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:08:10 PM »
Ta, Iíll have a look.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 09:26:39 PM »
Ta, Iíll have a look.
Thanks Dave , l have met some great people through your wonderful Forum and it would be great to see it continue as it is a great platform for Mod communication across the globe , even reaching the far corners of Enfield. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 10:35:05 PM »
2nd link added tae ma previous post.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 10:45:50 AM »
Ta, Iíll have a look.
Thanks Dave , l have met some great people through your wonderful Forum and it would be great to see it continue as it is a great platform for Mod communication across the globe , even reaching the far corners of Enfield. .

I wholeheartedly agree with everything that's been said in favour of keeping the forum, Dave, and if you need our consent or whatever, you just have to ask us. I really hope this place goes on, it's been an unvaluable source of tips and info and, of course, the place where I've shared our common passion with some top fellas that I wouldn't doubt to call friends.

English Stan

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 11:43:49 AM »
Some jobsworth in a civil service office being kept in a job.

A real shame and for all forums.   The amount of advice and ideas for all kinds of things, saved a fortune on car repairs and some fantastic recipes.

A sad day for me.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 12:05:22 PM »
I agree there is a good bunch here who I enjoy interacting with. However all of this new legislation and the possibility of fines, legal action whatever is clearly too much for anyone to put themselves at risk for. I am not a mad FACEBOOK person but that is perhaps an option should anyone want to stay in touch.