Author Topic: GDPR and the forum  (Read 1173 times)

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
Re: GDPR and the forum
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 07:57:21 AM »
Yes, this is a great forum. I'll opt in to whatever. Fingers crossed.
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »
Itís more detailed than a few people say yes. There are people on here who havenít posted for years but have data in the forum. Essentially I was I would have to go through everyone on the list. Itís very complicated for websites but forums and chat- based sites are probably the most complex.
Owner/dogsbody - Modculture

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 09:54:52 AM »
I am sure it is a job and a half mate. Understand your situation all the way. Just keep us up to speed but your decision is the one that is the most important understandably. All the best whatever.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 11:13:27 AM by Martin G »

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »
Would one solution be to close this down (with all the old contributers who might not be contactable) then opening it up but only if you agree to whatever the GDPR says?

That way you avoid having to deal with old data.
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

English Stan

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 11:54:09 AM »
Could that work?  sounds a good idea.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 01:40:16 PM »
I work from home and when I do venture out to a jobsite I still donít interact with that many people.
So while many people have banter with their day to day work mates, this place is the equivalent for me. I know that all good things have to change, adapt, evolve ... but hopefully not always come to an end. I would be gutted if this place closed for all the reasons already stated. Iím not on Facebook and donít plan to be either. I suppose I can always be contacted via www.rodsmodblog.wordpress.com if necessary but I hope a workaround can be found to keep this place going in some way. Perhaps closing and reopening with us all giving our new consent is the way to go? Or make me (non techie!) or Syd the nominal foreign owner so we wonít be party to UK laws.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 03:49:30 PM »
I work from home and when I do venture out to a jobsite I still donít interact with that many people.
So while many people have banter with their day to day work mates, this place is the equivalent for me. I know that all good things have to change, adapt, evolve ... but hopefully not always come to an end. I would be gutted if this place closed for all the reasons already stated. Iím not on Facebook and donít plan to be either. I suppose I can always be contacted via www.rodsmodblog.wordpress.com if necessary but I hope a workaround can be found to keep this place going in some way. Perhaps closing and reopening with us all giving our new consent is the way to go? Or make me (non techie!) or Syd the nominal foreign owner so we wonít be party to UK laws.

The closing and reopening scheme with just the people interested on board looks like a better idea than the country change. Not that I'd mind being the (nominal) owner of the forum, lol, but in my case at least that would change nothing, as the GDPR is an european law. I don't know US laws, so I can't speak for you, Rod.

Anyway, it looks (on paper at least) easier for Dave to close and reopen the forum, but as Martin has pointed the decision is his. Whatever that decision, I'll always feel grateful to him for provide us with this place. Great work, mate.

Essexmark

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 09:21:31 AM »
I work in finance in the UK and the GDPR changes are a nightmare. I get the principle but the ramifications on what seems to be very flaky legislation is counter productive to the essence of the changes. The fact it affects things like this forum was probably not even considered. I am sure some form of opt in confirming we accept that our data is being stored should cover this. I waited a year to join this forum, and feel that it has been a huge source of advice and encouragement with real genuine people involved. I would hate to see it close but fully understand your concerns Dave.

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 12:20:17 PM »
Foreign ownership isnít really a workaround. If you have European traffic, itís an issue. Hence why so many non-European corporations are doing so much work with it.

My issue right now is that I also have a bunch of blogs and websites, all of which need work in regard to it. The forum is on that list, but as it is all about data, it is probably the trickiest. I really donít  have time to restart a forum, as itís a pain to set up and massively time consuming. The options are to find a way to work with the legislation or close it either temporarily until a solution can be found or permanently. Iíll decide by the end of this week.

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 12:23:45 PM »
Another option would be to set up a closed Facebook group until I can sort out a more permanent solution.