Author Topic: GDPR and the forum  (Read 2000 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: GDPR and the forum
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 12:27:03 PM »
Foreign ownership isnít really a workaround. If you have European traffic, itís an issue. Hence why so many non-European corporations are doing so much work with it.

My issue right now is that I also have a bunch of blogs and websites, all of which need work in regard to it. The forum is on that list, but as it is all about data, it is probably the trickiest. I really donít  have time to restart a forum, as itís a pain to set up and massively time consuming. The options are to find a way to work with the legislation or close it either temporarily until a solution can be found or permanently. Iíll decide by the end of this week.

Wish it can be sorted out, Dave, fingers crossed.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »
Dave thanks so much for all you do anyhow but with this all thrown in the mix too it must be a bloody nightmare. I am struggling at work at the moment trying to consider the various 'ins and outs' of my daily routine that needs to now have all this factored in. I will go with the flow though whatever route you take mate.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 12:12:40 PM »
I just got an e mail today from my old university (Carnegie Leeds) which seems like one of those Ďwe are checking to make sure your contact details are currentí type e-mails but also had the data opt in yes/no question, which Iím sure was their workaround.

Is it not possible to send a blanket e-mail to everyone on this siteís registration list in a similar way? That might even nudge dormant members to start participating again. Either way is regulars would opt in for business as usual and throws who donít respond would slide off.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 09:33:54 AM »
Aye ah've been inundated wi' this type ay email recently askin' me tae opt in tae various mailin' lists.

It's given me the chance tae opt oot in some instances (products fur the elderly that ah wis orderin' oan behalf ay ma parents in the last few years ay thir lives). but in most cases ah huv opted tae let the sender retain ma details.

Agreed tae Jump the Gun's invite n' this popped up.    8)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 06:10:07 PM »
Aye ah've been inundated wi' this type ay email recently askin' me tae opt in tae various mailin' lists.

It's given me the chance tae opt oot in some instances (products fur the elderly that ah wis orderin' oan behalf ay ma parents in the last few years ay thir lives). but in most cases ah huv opted tae let the sender retain ma details.

Agreed tae Jump the Gun's invite n' this popped up.    8)

Nice one. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 02:09:15 AM »
I also asked on the Sunderland ready to go message board (which is massive and has a huge readership - curiously discussion about SAFC is only a small part!! - what they were doing and the answer was basically nothing. While they understand people like Dave being paranoid about receiving hefty fines for non compliance, the owner seems to think that message boards like his (and this one) are not likely to be in the firing line so heís just ignoring it.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 10:32:59 AM »
This is Dave's place and if things go nasty on this he is the one with his balls in the mincer so if he is a little less than cavalier about things I understand fully. The decision is his as any repercussions will be at his door and his door alone regardless of what other sites or forums attitude is.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 12:19:48 PM »
Echoing Martin's statement, I am hoping to avoid any closure 100%, however Dave is the only one liable. Truth be told, I have been scouring the internet for answers, but all so vague. We've been through a shutdown before and held out until we could be together again, thus just might be another test of our faith. So, you know.....keep the faith
Initials B.B.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 12:33:42 PM »
Yeah I would be as gutted as any of us if the place folds and I do realise that fellas like Rod or GS are kinda out there flying the flag alone and look upon this site as a source/hub/club house so it is precious to them. Totally get that but Dave is the guy who will take the biggest hit if it all goes wrong for him.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 03:26:00 PM »
Yeah I would be as gutted as any of us if the place folds and I do realise that fellas like Rod or GS are kinda out there flying the flag alone and look upon this site as a source/hub/club house so it is precious to them. Totally get that but Dave is the guy who will take the biggest hit if it all goes wrong for him.

I absolutely echo everything that's been said about Dave's risks, he should do what's best for him, no question about it.

With all the sources of information Internet provides us with, my main concern with the disappearance of the forum has really more to do with the sense of fraternity that prevails here, the friends I've made here. When you're not surrounded by like-minded people in your day-by-day it's harder to lose a "club" (well put, Martin) like this.