Author Topic: MOSCOT shades...  (Read 786 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: MOSCOT shades...
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 05:44:56 PM »
You're right mate. Readily available in the 1960s. Lenses shaped like an old telly screen. Lennon wears similar in the PAPERBACK WRITER/RAIN videos too and Weller did indeed have a pair toward the end of THE JAM and into The Style Council. My old Mum had a pair from the 60s I managed to cajole her into letting me have as a teenager. Wish I had them still.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:54:01 PM by Martin G »

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 06:35:59 PM »
Here’s my Dad wearing his in summer 1966 on holiday in Gairloch, Scotland.
Those are my siblings. I was left behind with my grandparents as I suppose they didn’t want to be bothered changing nappies!

Bonus pic of Dad in a button down shirt. Being ex-military he wasn’t a fan of open neck shirts (like me!) unless he was in super casual dressed down situations.  I have zero recollection of him wearing a BD collar shirt so maybe this was a brief trial for him. I have a few pics (and I remember it too) of him in a white cotton mock turtle a couple of years later which didn’t last for decades but was a trend he followed for a few years.

Sorry for the digression but I do think it’s interesting to discuss the similarities and differences between our generation and the one before. Especially as I’m several years older now than he is when this pic was taken. My Dad was generally a pretty sharp dresser, not interested in fashion but still inevitably followed / influenced by some trends. (He had an unfortunate and mercifully brief flirtation with a powder blue leisure suit and matching rope soled lace ups that he must have quickly regretted as they never saw the light of day!)

Talking with some mates recently about when our parents’ generation were our age they seemed so OLD! Cloth cap, tweed jacket, pipe ...

Someone once commented that my Dad has a bit of a Don Draper look about him. Black greased hair is a part of that I’m sure, and I reckon my Dad was only a few years older than what DD was supposed to be in Mad Men.

(My ginger sister will be 60 in July!)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:41:31 PM by Rod »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 08:46:21 AM »
Here’s my Dad wearing his in summer 1966 on holiday in Gairloch, Scotland.
Those are my siblings. I was left behind with my grandparents as I suppose they didn’t want to be bothered changing nappies!

Bonus pic of Dad in a button down shirt. Being ex-military he wasn’t a fan of open neck shirts (like me!) unless he was in super casual dressed down situations.  I have zero recollection of him wearing a BD collar shirt so maybe this was a brief trial for him. I have a few pics (and I remember it too) of him in a white cotton mock turtle a couple of years later which didn’t last for decades but was a trend he followed for a few years.

Sorry for the digression but I do think it’s interesting to discuss the similarities and differences between our generation and the one before. Especially as I’m several years older now than he is when this pic was taken. My Dad was generally a pretty sharp dresser, not interested in fashion but still inevitably followed / influenced by some trends. (He had an unfortunate and mercifully brief flirtation with a powder blue leisure suit and matching rope soled lace ups that he must have quickly regretted as they never saw the light of day!)

Talking with some mates recently about when our parents’ generation were our age they seemed so OLD! Cloth cap, tweed jacket, pipe ...

Someone once commented that my Dad has a bit of a Don Draper look about him. Black greased hair is a part of that I’m sure, and I reckon my Dad was only a few years older than what DD was supposed to be in Mad Men.

(My ginger sister will be 60 in July!)

Nice pics, Rod. Adding my 2 cents to the discussion, I recall some days ago I was talking with my father (85 years old) about clothes, as the cognac colour of the brogues I wore grabbed his attention. Anyway, in one moment of the chat he told me that my fixation with clobber was unlikely inherited from him, as he never worried for a second about the clothes he was wearing. And while this is true, he's always had a pretty comprehensive wardrobe, including a lot of quality ítems (some suits, wool overcoats, decent-to-good footwear…). What I'm pointing at is that our parents' generation gave a lot more importance to the way you dressed than our generation, let alone the milennials.

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »
Definitely true Syd. I think his is gonna the theme of a blog post.
My Mam’s Dad was a snappy dresser on a very low budget. My Nana used to call him ‘Penniless Percy’!
My Dad never had a lot of stuff but was well dressed. I remember my Mam saying ‘when we were first going out he wouldn’t dream of coming to pick me up if he didn’t have his blazer on and his tie fastened’ - a nice sentiment when you see people these days in the supermarket or the airport in pyjamas and sweat pants!

Anyway - back to sunglasses!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:26:29 PM by Rod »

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 11:26:46 AM »
You're right mate. Readily available in the 1960s. Lenses shaped like an old telly screen. Lennon wears similar in the PAPERBACK WRITER/RAIN videos too and Weller did indeed have a pair toward the end of THE JAM and into The Style Council. My old Mum had a pair from the 60s I managed to cajole her into letting me have as a teenager. Wish I had them still.

I've been looking for those frames for years, this is where I first noticed them:
mod in Detroit

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
Is there even a common name for that style Mike? Other than ‘brow bar’ or something?

I believe there was a vintage Ray Ban Olympian II which is similar but hard to find now. The Olympian has curved edges like Peter Fonda’s in Easy Rider. The Olympian II had a plastic brow bar and frame and the Olympian II deluxe were more like those Moscots but had an extra metal bridge piece.

I wouldn’t mind trying a pair on. Not sure if they’ll suit me and I have an aversion to wearing anything gold but hope they work our for you.

Just had a bit search and saw a pair of frames only in gunmetal. Hmmmm tempting!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:31:39 PM by Rod »

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 02:22:41 PM »
Is there even a common name for that style Mike? Other than ‘brow bar’ or something?

I believe there was a vintage Ray Ban Olympian II which is similar but hard to find now. The Olympian has curved edges like Peter Fonda’s in Easy Rider. The Olympian II had a plastic brow bar and frame and the Olympian II deluxe were more like those Moscots but had an extra metal bridge piece.

I wouldn’t mind trying a pair on. Not sure if they’ll suit me and I have an aversion to wearing anything gold but hope they work our for you.

Just had a bit search and saw a pair of frames only in gunmetal. Hmmmm tempting!!

I've warmed up to gold frames recently Rod, avoided them for years as being too "flash".
 I'm not sure what those frames are called...I read somewhere that they were a 60's style made by a company that wasn't Ray Ban, and were out of production, and that's all I remember (DAMN Memory!!)
I do have a pair of the Easy Rider Olympian re-issues, but I don't wear them as the curve of the frame doesn't work to well with my Rx...Also have a pair of "Palmer-esque" dark tortoise plastic frames from Black, which only look right when I'm wearing my hair shorter...
mod in Detroit

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 05:39:14 PM »
Yeah it was your tip that made me seek out Black Eye Wear when I had a couple of hours to go shopping in London last year. Their selection is great. I was looking to get a pair of Palmer style in ‘Matt Marmalade’ but either they didn’t have them or they didn’t suit me. I ended up getting a Wayfarer-ish pair in shiny marmalade. The fella in the cupboard-sized shop was very helpful and I’d definitely recommend anyone to have a dodge in there if they had the time.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »
Rod that one of your old fella and your family in front of the wind break could be any one of us now mate. Looks great. Great hair, glasses, shirt and deck shoes too.

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 05:09:45 PM »
I've wanted a pair for ages, well since 1983/4 in fact when this photo was in Smash Hits...
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.