Author Topic: Both Directions At Once  (Read 184 times)

Claretbluemod

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Both Directions At Once
« on: June 11, 2018, 07:18:30 PM »
Fifty-one years after his death, John Coltrane is still full of surprises. Impulse Records has
announced the release, by the end of June, of Both Directions at Once the
 “lost” ( or greedily hidden in a drawer?!) John Coltrane Album that was
recorded in 1963 by the classic quartet just before the recording of another album
I love Blue Train but, is it really  worth getting excited about? I'm in two minds as to whether to order it..
Broad minds, narrow ties

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Both Directions At Once
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:49:59 AM »
Fifty-one years after his death, John Coltrane is still full of surprises. Impulse Records has
announced the release, by the end of June, of Both Directions at Once the
 “lost” ( or greedily hidden in a drawer?!) John Coltrane Album that was
recorded in 1963 by the classic quartet just before the recording of another album
I love Blue Train but, is it really  worth getting excited about? I'm in two minds as to whether to order it..

I'm aware of this release, but as you I'm in doubt about if it's worth purchasing. I've heard brief snippets and they sound intriguing, closer to "My favorite things"' Trane than "A love supreme", but that's not a bad thing, as the late Coltrane became too abstract for my hard-boppish tastes. Anyway, a proper review of the album would be welcome.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 01:17:08 PM »
I picked it up the other day, it's definitely worth a listen. I've heard it described as the "bridge" between what Coltrane was doing at the time and his later free form "Love" era work...
mod in Detroit

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 05:19:20 PM »
I picked it up the other day, it's definitely worth a listen. I've heard it described as the "bridge" between what Coltrane was doing at the time and his later free form "Love" era work...

I think I'll wait till the price gets lower.