Author Topic: mod clobber book  (Read 432 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
mod clobber book
« on: July 20, 2018, 10:07:17 AM »
It's been a surprise, this one, as the mod-related bibliography in spanish isn't something to write home about, except from the delightful Alex Copper's books devoted to 60s 45s, some mainly poor translations and the odd reference tome, with usually a wide, strictly-for-beginners, approach.

Besides, the co-author, Dani Llabrés (https://danillabres.wordpress.com/), is a well-respected member of the scene and he wrote one of the best, if not the best, spanish essays on the subject: "Mods. Guía para una vida elegante", very much our version of Paolo Hewitt's "A to Z of mod". I mean, he doesn't only writes well, but knows the topic inside out.

What gives the edge to this new DL effort is that it focuses squarely in the clothes, reviewing through new illustrations (over 70 if I'm not mistaken) the origins and evolution of mod clobber across the first golden era, from 1962 to 1966.

With the main focus in the graphic side, thus, it might appeal even those of our parish that can't speak two words in spanish. Not cheap, though, as it's a hardback edition (30 €):

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: mod clobber book
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 10:05:17 AM »
After reading this (it takes no more tan a couple hours, really), I think it would be unfair not to endorse it wholeheartedly.

Sussed out, entertaining and well structured (with a brief overview of british and US mods' ancestors) , it's a worthy addition to any mod-related library. Of course it's the graphic department which commands attention here, and deservedly so, as Tete's illustrations are charming and full of the mandatory details, though they're mostly based in pictures that we know. Text by Dani is accurate and to the point, even with bits of info new to me. A lot of space has been devoted to girls' styles, so something for everyone (mod hairstyles are displayed too).

Don't let the spanish text -besides, there are lots of english terms- or the price discourage you from getting this, it's really good. But judge for yourselves:

Ady, amigo, you shouldn't miss this one!