Author Topic: GERAINT Thomas. .  (Read 2096 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
GERAINT Thomas. .
« on: July 29, 2018, 06:27:03 PM »
Well done to G on being the first British born cyclist to win the lap of France , well done indeed. .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44998961
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 08:13:10 PM by Simon Bond »
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: GERAINT Thomas. .
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »
Well done to G on being the first British born cyclist to win the lap of France , well done indeed. .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44998961
Agreed ,superb achievement and well deserved , total respect and acceptance is all I have heard/read from the cycling fraternity.   (No zola budd type steal, definitely 1 of our own)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:40:23 PM by Rocketman »

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 08:27:09 PM »
Does he suffer fae asthma tho'?

charliebravo69

• Modernist, Cyclist, Pissartist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:16:21 PM »
Had the absolute pleasure of joining him for a ride post tour 2011. He was convinced that cav would win the worlds that year and he was right. He also said that wiggo was a cert for the next tour, he wasnít wrong there either. He was very humble about his own ambitions though and came across as strictly a team member and def not a leader in his eyes, well heís def a leader and a champion now. The man is a machine - was supposed to be riding Cardiff to Denbigh in North Wales on a tandem with his good lady who couldn't carry on past Welshpool so he just rode the tandem alone, I only rode with him for 20 miles or so but I averaged 22 mph and he barely broke a sweat riding that tandem alone

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 03:27:01 PM »
Had the absolute pleasure of joining him for a ride post tour 2011. He was convinced that cav would win the worlds that year and he was right. He also said that wiggo was a cert for the next tour, he wasnít wrong there either. He was very humble about his own ambitions though and came across as strictly a team member and def not a leader in his eyes, well heís def a leader and a champion now. The man is a machine - was supposed to be riding Cardiff to Denbigh in North Wales on a tandem with his good lady who couldn't carry on past Welshpool so he just rode the tandem alone, I only rode with him for 20 miles or so but I averaged 22 mph and he barely broke a sweat riding that tandem alone

Wow ,  great post CB , thanks for sharing.  .

I don't think Geraint is elitist like some of them . It reminds me of the time l caught Graeme Obree on his bike . Turned out he had just been for his weekly shopping and was heavily laden.  We had a wee chat nevertheless.  .

charliebravo69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »
now there's a man who could have achieved even greater things if he'd been around now and supported by BC etc

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »
now there's a man who could have achieved even greater things if he'd been around now and supported by BC etc
or a washing machine repair man 😉  (great photo, remember it 1st time posted)

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 06:29:12 AM »

Indeed , Obree was basically sacked by his team because of a refusal to take drugs . Sad that that more or less ended his career back then .

Obree came to my house on one occasion to enter a race l was organising . This was years after his medals and World Record rides . Again we had a chat but l remembered thinking that a guy like him shouldn't have been riding against people like me and a whole bunch of other amatuers . .

Nowadays , he will turn up for the occasional Club run ! The good thing about that is he doesn't try to drop us and is very happy to have a chat and realises his record attempts are now behind him . .

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 01:33:33 PM »

Wow ,  great post CB , thanks for sharing.  .

I don't think Geraint is elitist like some of them . It reminds me of the time l caught Graeme Obree on his bike . Turned out he had just been for his weekly shopping and was heavily laden.  We had a wee chat nevertheless.  .

Presumably you wur in the car?

;D

charliebravo69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 02:44:43 PM »

or a washing machine repair man 😉  (great photo, remember it 1st time posted)

😂😂😂😂

Thanks - nearly didn't get the photo, it was literally a last minute thing as I was the only one joining the ride in Welshpool and almost forgot to get one