Author Topic: A Very Secret Service - Netflix TV show  (Read 511 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: A Very Secret Service - Netflix TV show
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 05:47:04 PM »
BTW, I've just learned that those 2 movies you mention are based in fact in a couple 60s french Bond-spoofs led by american actors. We live in a world of sequels!!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141673/?ref_=nv_sr_3

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 05:54:15 PM »
As mentioned by Martin, if you've not seen them then the two OSS 117 films,  Cairo, Nest of Spies and Lost in Rio, are well worth a look; similar style and sense of un-PC humour

They won't be so easy to find, I guess (my other half talked me into Netflix some months ago), but I put them on my list of "must-watch", Ady, thanx.
Just had a look on amazon.es and they are there; it's the ones starring Jean Dujardin
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »
Thanks, amigo, I've just ordered the "...Rio" DVD for just 9 (no shipping costs) from another shop. If I like it I'll try "Cairo...".

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 07:29:53 PM »
Thanks, amigo, I've just ordered the "...Rio" DVD for just 9 (no shipping costs) from another shop. If I like it I'll try "Cairo...".
Preferred Cairo myself, better jokes in it.

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 12:52:53 PM »
Just finished watching both series of A Very Secret Serice (Au Service de la France)

Loved it!

Massive thank you to Ady C for the heads up on this one :)
Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 04:27:55 PM »
Just finished watching both series of A Very Secret Serice (Au Service de la France)

Loved it!

No worries. I enjoyed the second series more and now you know just why they built the Berlin Wall...  ;)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 06:40:31 PM »

Loved it!

No worries. I enjoyed the second series more and now you know just why they built the Berlin Wall...  ;)

No spoilers, please!!  ;). I'm still thru' mid-first season: the fake postmen massacre!  ;D

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 01:13:52 PM »
Only a couple of episodes in, but loving this show. Funny, very un-pc and some great sets and clothes
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 04:03:13 PM »
Only a couple of episodes in, but loving this show. Funny, very un-pc and some great sets and clothes

It's nice to have you back, doc! At the risk of hijacking the thread... did you like the Gene Clark's record? At first listening, the obvious demo quality of the recordings was an unwelcome distraction, but it has grown on me. In fact, I'd say almost half of the songs merit inclusion in the GC's canon (to name a couple personal favourites: "Doctor, doctor" and "7:30 mode"), and the rest aren't half bad. Of course, he was at the peak of his vocal form, so song quality aside it's a pleasure to hear him sing.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 01:20:45 PM »

It's nice to have you back, doc! At the risk of hijacking the thread... did you like the Gene Clark's record? At first listening, the obvious demo quality of the recordings was an unwelcome distraction, but it has grown on me. In fact, I'd say almost half of the songs merit inclusion in the GC's canon (to name a couple personal favourites: "Doctor, doctor" and "7:30 mode"), and the rest aren't half bad. Of course, he was at the peak of his vocal form, so song quality aside it's a pleasure to hear him sing.

I'll keep this brief, as we have hijacked the wrong thread. Like you, I thought it was a little hit and miss in terms of the songs themselves, but Gene does sound wonderful throughout. Final note; in case you didn't catch it last time around, bbc4 (I think, will confirm) are showing The Byrd Who Flew Alone again on Saturday 22nd September. I'm guessing you can get the iplayer online.

P.S thanks for the welcome back. I've been lurking but been hugely distracted with work and some domestic issues of late, things settling down again now
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot