Author Topic: the staple singers  (Read 707 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: the staple singers
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 04:43:44 PM »
Talking of reissues/comps, this could make a nice Xmas gift for we of a certain age: lots of certified classics, but some obscure stuff too:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/harmony-in-my-head-uk-power-pop-new-wave-1977-81-various-artists-3cd-boxset/

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »
This could be THE soul reissue of 2018:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/the-staple-singers-for-what-its-worth-the-complete-epic-recordings-1964-1968-3cd-clamshell-boxset/

As I guessed, ESSENTIAL listening. Just the unbelievably powerful live record included would be worth the price of admission alone.

Midway between their beginnings in the gospel circuit and their soul/funk stars era, these recordings are to my ears the cream of the crop of the Staple's output. While I love their Stax stuff, I reckon the standard Memphis soul production somehow diluted the essence of what was truly a unique band, to the point they became just another (great) soul artist. And regarding their Vee Jay previous recordings, I think that the Epic albums take advantage of a better sound without polishing in excess or compromising the raw quality of the music.

In fact, most of the albums in this boxset have a basic backing of bass, vibrato-laden guitar and drums, with the wonderful, urgent harmonies soaring in top of that and a soloist -more often than not Pops or Mavis- giving it all. And man, what Mavis does with her voice here is jaw-dropping, out of this world. Sometimes it almost hurts physically.

Add to that a handful of legendary Pops-penned songs, innovative covers of gospel classics and contemporary folk/rock numbers and you have a winner. Besides, there's an eerie, haunting quality to these tunes that stems in part from the socio-political situation that surrounded them: the fight for the civil rights in which the Staples were so involved. And in part from the fact they represent a timeless crucible of secular (blues, country and soul) and religious music.

Just a word of warning: avoid long shots, this is high graduation holy water.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 11:01:05 AM »

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/the-staple-singers-for-what-its-worth-the-complete-epic-recordings-1964-1968-3cd-clamshell-boxset/

On a related note, I have to wholeheartedly recommend Greg Kot's canonic bio of Pops & co, I'll Take you There. It's got everything a good musicians' bio's got to have: lots of first-hand accounts, accurate context, telling/funny anecdotes aplenty, unobtrusive, well structured narrative,  and especially an enlightening approach to what made the Staples' sound so special and unique among not only their gospel, but their r&b and folk contemporaries. While reading it, sometimes I felt like watching a documentary about the life and times of the band, the book's that good.

An excellent index, selected discography and an extended interview of Kot with Mavis Staples put the icing on the cake.

While I'm at it, I'm currently reading Salsa rising, an essay about New York latin's music. Maybe not as good as the Staples bio but well written, informative and entertaining, and particularly appealing to our parish, as it deals mainly with the 60s developments in latin sounds that leaded to salsa, namely boogaloo and latin soul/jazz.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 05:08:09 PM »
Talking of reissues/comps, this could make a nice Xmas gift for we of a certain age: lots of certified classics, but some obscure stuff too:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/harmony-in-my-head-uk-power-pop-new-wave-1977-81-various-artists-3cd-boxset/

There is indeed much obscure stuff onthere , there is even a Secret Affair track from before they were called Secret Affair. A couple of other obscure Mod outfits , could be a bit patchy. .

I bought a 5 disc Mod' comp in Morrisons a couple of weeks ago which is very comprehensive , for a fiver . . 8)
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 07:22:29 PM »

There is indeed much obscure stuff onthere , there is even a Secret Affair track from before they were called Secret Affair. A couple of other obscure Mod outfits , could be a bit patchy. .

I bought a 5 disc Mod' comp in Morrisons a couple of weeks ago which is very comprehensive , for a fiver . . 8)

Those Cherry Red comps are usually great value for the money, as they always try to mix classics with obscure tracks. Problem with this one is maybe it tries to cover too much stylistic ground, but it includes many gems from my/our youth.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 11:34:12 AM »

As I guessed, ESSENTIAL listening. Just the unbelievably powerful live record included would be worth the price of admission alone.

Midway between their beginnings in the gospel circuit and their soul/funk stars era, these recordings are to my ears the cream of the crop of the Staple's output. While I love their Stax stuff, I reckon the standard Memphis soul production somehow diluted the essence of what was truly a unique band, to the point they became just another (great) soul artist. And regarding their Vee Jay previous recordings, I think that the Epic albums take advantage of a better sound without polishing in excess or compromising the raw quality of the music.

In fact, most of the albums in this boxset have a basic backing of bass, vibrato-laden guitar and drums, with the wonderful, urgent harmonies soaring in top of that and a soloist -more often than not Pops or Mavis- giving it all. And man, what Mavis does with her voice here is jaw-dropping, out of this world. Sometimes it almost hurts physically.

Add to that a handful of legendary Pops-penned songs, innovative covers of gospel classics and contemporary folk/rock numbers and you have a winner. Besides, there's an eerie, haunting quality to these tunes that stems in part from the socio-political situation that surrounded them: the fight for the civil rights in which the Staples were so involved. And in part from the fact they represent a timeless crucible of secular (blues, country and soul) and religious music.

Just a word of warning: avoid long shots, this is high graduation holy water.

BTW, this new Jasmine Records comp is a mostly cheap and convenient way to get the cream of their also essential Vee Jay recordings from the 50s and early 60s.

http://www.jasmine-records.co.uk/store/index.php/january-2019/the-staple-singers-the-first-family-of-gospel-1953-1961