Author Topic: Weller Q&A  (Read 319 times)

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Weller Q&A
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 12:36:29 PM »
Interesting read mate. Thanks for the link. I know Weller mentioned a tear or so back he was game for a 007 theme if the chance presented itself so it was interesting to hear he actually submitted one to EON for consideration.

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 03:10:52 PM »
Nostalgia's got no future, has it. I'm quite amazed at how nostalgic everyone's become culturally, in the last 10 years or so. I can only think it's people clinging to that in uncertain times. Maybe something to do with that. But in the past when we've gone through times like this it's normally thrown up new kinds of music as opposed to looking back - this is probably the first time in my life that we haven't done that. People find safety in what they grew up on. I can understand that to a point, but I just wanna hear new stuff as well. If all I had was listening to my old records - which I love - I'd be a bit disappointed really.

Totally agree mr weller although most mods seemingly don't agree.
Not stuck in the 60's

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 04:00:32 PM »
Nostalgia's got no future, has it. I'm quite amazed at how nostalgic everyone's become culturally, in the last 10 years or so. I can only think it's people clinging to that in uncertain times. Maybe something to do with that. But in the past when we've gone through times like this it's normally thrown up new kinds of music as opposed to looking back - this is probably the first time in my life that we haven't done that. People find safety in what they grew up on. I can understand that to a point, but I just wanna hear new stuff as well. If all I had was listening to my old records - which I love - I'd be a bit disappointed really.

Totally agree mr weller although most mods seemingly don't agree.

I completely get where he's at on this, it's what also makes him "persona non grata", to a lot of mods nowadays.... ::)
mod in Detroit

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
Thanks for that , Laird . I think Paul looks a lot older than his years now , must be due to lifestyle I suppose. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 11:14:04 AM »
I've never been a huge Weller fan, but I respect the man and his achievements, so I'm not biased here. It's funny that he regularly repeats that "always looking forward" mantra, given his music is 90% guitar-based and full of references to the past, intentional or not. Barely coherent, I'd say.

But in fairness to the modfather, that's an unsolvable paradox that lies in the heart of the mod scene after the 60s. That's why, being honest with myself, I'd rather be called a "trad" than a "mod", as I unashamedly embrace the nostalgia elements and don't care too much for that ambiguous "forward thinking" that many mods invoke while dressing in a 1964 accurate italian top.

And if the only artist alive with whom mr. Weller would like to collaborate is Pharrell Williams, well, then he's running short of ideas and/or ambition fast, I'm afraid, as Williams is just an agreeable, modest talent to whom the industry has hung the "genius" tag, a tag that obviously too large for him. And of course, he's squarely mainstream, no trace of "avant-garde" about him.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 01:39:09 PM »
Thanks for that , Laird . I think Paul looks a lot older than his years now , must be due to lifestyle I suppose. .

Ach he disnae look that bad.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 05:29:14 PM »
I've never been a huge Weller fan, but I respect the man and his achievements, so I'm not biased here. It's funny that he regularly repeats that "always looking forward" mantra, given his music is 90% guitar-based and full of references to the past, intentional or not. Barely coherent, I'd say.

But in fairness to the modfather, that's an unsolvable paradox that lies in the heart of the mod scene after the 60s. That's why, being honest with myself, I'd rather be called a "trad" than a "mod", as I unashamedly embrace the nostalgia elements and don't care too much for that ambiguous "forward thinking" that many mods invoke while dressing in a 1964 accurate italian top.

And if the only artist alive with whom mr. Weller would like to collaborate is Pharrell Williams, well, then he's running short of ideas and/or ambition fast, I'm afraid, as Williams is just an agreeable, modest talent to whom the industry has hung the "genius" tag, a tag that obviously too large for him. And of course, he's squarely mainstream, no trace of "avant-garde" about him.

Another fine bit of musical journalism. .a fine polemic diatribe 😊

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 06:40:39 PM »

Thanks, mr. Bond. I think Weller is not as much a "sacred cow" here as he's in Britain, so mine may be a somewhat more objective point of view. That said, it's just that, an opinion.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 07:20:37 PM »

Thanks, mr. Bond. I think Weller is not as much a "sacred cow" here as he's in Britain, so mine may be a somewhat more objective point of view. That said, it's just that, an opinion.

I think the thing about Weller is that , by his own addmission now too , his songs like Eton Rifles and Going Underground are just as relevant today as they were 30 odd years ago on first release . His social comment was second to none for a large part of the 8ts but that changed to a degree with the Style Council though he would still dip into social comment. .