Author Topic: Weller Q&A  (Read 635 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Weller Q&A
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 10:17:18 PM »

But in fairness to the modfather, that's an unsolvable paradox that lies in the heart of the mod scene after the 60s. That's why, being honest with myself, I'd rather be called a "trad" than a "mod", as I unashamedly embrace the nostalgia elements and don't care too much for that ambiguous "forward thinking" that many mods invoke while dressing in a 1964 accurate italian top.
"Trad" is a good description, but I've determined I can't pull off that look, so I'm leaning more toward the "Fwd Thinking" look that the elders like Weller and Watts (and even M. Freeman) are sporting.
As far as his music being "90% guitar based", that's kind of like saying Coltrane's entire catalog was "90% Sax based" ;D.
It's not the instrument, it's how you use it, IMO  :D.
mod in Detroit

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 09:22:49 AM »

But in fairness to the modfather, that's an unsolvable paradox that lies in the heart of the mod scene after the 60s. That's why, being honest with myself, I'd rather be called a "trad" than a "mod", as I unashamedly embrace the nostalgia elements and don't care too much for that ambiguous "forward thinking" that many mods invoke while dressing in a 1964 accurate italian top.
"Trad" is a good description, but I've determined I can't pull off that look, so I'm leaning more toward the "Fwd Thinking" look that the elders like Weller and Watts (and even M. Freeman) are sporting.
As far as his music being "90% guitar based", that's kind of like saying Coltrane's entire catalog was "90% Sax based" ;D.
It's not the instrument, it's how you use it, IMO  :D.

Well, Mike, you'll have to agree he's not cutting edge anymore, is he? And that's not a bad (or good) thing per se, as long as he makes good music (his last record is nothing to write home about, IMO, maybe the next one...). Social comment & pop music combo is nothing new either (Dylan anyone?) nor so-called "forward thinking".

Re. the clobber department, from my point of view Weller has known better -and worse- days, a hit-or-miss affair now. Martin Freeman dresses well, in fairly classic stuff, hardly an avant-gardist (or a mod avant-gardist for that matter). It's a slippery issue, that "forward thinking" mood when we're discussing a scene that had its peak 50+ years ago. If you take to heart that "fwd thinking" attitude you may well find yourself outside our given frame, which ain't bad either, nor good, just a different thing from what broadly speaking we understand as "mod". 

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 12:18:07 PM »
This has expanded out into an interesting bit of dialogue from all parties. Whether we agree is of course another matter but interesting all the same. Throwing my bit in I have always smiled at the "Mod/Modernism is about looking forward" adage. That was of course absolutely true back in the late 1950s/early '60s when this thing we call 'Mod' was exactly that....modern. However the vast majority of us got into this thing retrospectively given a shared interest in a specific time period (of 50 or so years ago) and all of the trappings of that era whether it be clothes, music, TV film or whatever. I make no bones about this with regard to myself but of course can't speak for others. If the 'Mod is all about moving forward and evolving' thing is to be strictly adhered to then surely any young person of any given time frame since the early 1960s has to be regarded as a 'Mod' whether that be a paisley wearing flower child of the late '60s, a leather clad mid 70s Punk, a tartan wrapped New Romantic or indeed the skinny jeaned bearded hipsters of today? (Which is of course nonsense but something to be pondered maybe) It seems there is some shame to admitting that the parka clad beach 'erbert, QUADROPHENIA, The Small Faces or the music of Marvin Gaye or The Temptations is really the heart of what most of us are all about or at least were back when we first got onboard with the Mod thing. The very same blokes who go on about Mod evolving and look forward to new music all generally still wear button down shirts, three button jackets and loafers and ride scooters too. To each their own of course but for me it is and will always be a love of the 1960s and styles worn therein/The Jam/The Who and such like that are the root of it all. I like some new music and film and telly too and have nabbed odd bits of clothing as well but when it comes down to it that's where I stand.   
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:20:06 PM by Martin G »

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »

Fur me Weller's main achievement wis in raisin' the whole notion ay "Mod" again at a time when it had been forgotten aboot.

Ah came at it by likin' The Jam amongst the other "punk" bands when they first came tae prominence.  The All Mod Cons album along wi' a certain nostalgia fur telly shows ay ma youth (same programmes as Martin G ah suspect) led me tae start rakin' in ma Da's wardrobe or lookin' in charity shops tae get that "mod" look.  Ah only really knew The Who fae the Tommy film at that time, but had always like The Kinks n' a few other 60s band so ah went backwards tae discover the early Who, Small Faces, etc.  Also loved the Two Tone bands n' began buyin' cheap compilations ay 60s soul.  At the same time ah wis lookin' forward n'aw - listenin' tae Gang of Four, Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes n' many other bands.  Aw ay it wis excitin' music tae ma young ears.

Musically ah loved everyhing The Jam done.  Weller's career thereafter has had mixed appeal tae me.  Style Council n' his solo recordings huv both had highs n' lows, so basically ah've learned tae pick n' choose whit ah listen tae fae both outputs.

Sartorially ah hink he looked at his best in the very early Style Council days before he grew the floppy fringe.

Still find him interestin' in a recordin' sense tho' a bit hit or miss at the same time.  (Nae real interest in the new album, even tho' havin' gone thru the same experience ay losin' parents ah kin understand why he has gone aw "reflective").

Last time ah saw him in live performance ah found it a faintly dreary experience, so ah'd be unlikely tae go see him again unless coaxed intae it by a future partner.  (Telt yese it wis unlikely).

Ah'd still be willin' tae look forwards musically if ah felt thir wis a scene or bands worth followin'.  Sadly ah find masel' takin' an instant dislike tae many ay the scruffy, beardy, whiny bands periodically touted as the "next big thing" while black dance music seems tae huv mutated intae grime/drill tuneless monotony.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 01:09:24 PM »
I'm with The Laird totally. I drifted off track given Weller was the main thrust of the thread. Sorry for that.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 04:54:42 PM »
I'm with The Laird totally. I drifted off track given Weller was the main thrust of the thread. Sorry for that.

I don't think you did anything wrong at all Martin. I think Laird is like many in that The Jam/Weller were what got them interested in Mod . Weller through the Jam certainly helped to get Mod into the limelight but I think to some extent that it was always in the background.

I bought the original Quadrophenia album in 1976 and bought my first Jam record the following year and was baffled a bit by the Mod clothes and the punky sound . I think music journo's were similarlly baffled back then to some degree also .

By '79 scooters were back on the roads, the Tow-Tone thing had taken off , M-51 parkas were back in the local army and navy outlet , Mod clothes began to appear in certain shops and Tamla Motown compilations were in the record stores but by now we had found out where you could buy original 6ts records second hand for a good price. .

However , the last bit of what you said before regarding a love of sixties culture , clothes , tv shows and the whole Jam/Who thing is fundamentally where it is at . There is something about sixties styling that is timeless and many a wee retro shop has hopped on that bandwaggon and of course style simply doesn't go out of fashion .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 05:21:54 PM »

However , the last bit of what you said before regarding a love of sixties culture , clothes , tv shows and the whole Jam/Who thing is fundamentally where it is at . There is something about sixties styling that is timeless and many a wee retro shop has hopped on that bandwaggon and of course style simply doesn't go out of fashion .

Yes, that's the key for me, Martin has nailed it. And the Laird, with his references to the nowadays sad state of affairs, musical-wise and sartorial. I'm happy immersed in the past, period. Being it a more cool "place" why should I apologize? And that has never caused me any emotional maladjustment, quite the opposite. I think this is a very ineresting discussion, even essential, as some in the scene seem to feel guilty because mod isn't, as Martin put it, "modern" anymore.   

To go back to Weller, maybe he's not so important to me because I didn't arrive to the 60s/mod scene through him, I began to listen to the Beatles by chance and it was a life-changing experience (oddly, or not, like Weller himself) that led me to research the whole white stuff (Stones, Yardbirds, Kinks, Searchers, Hollies, Zombies, Small Faces, Byrds, in no particular order). Then "Quadrophenia" did its bit. And AFTER all that, thanks to other mod mates (that didn't have a clue about the original sources, btw), I discovered the Jam.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 06:40:02 PM »
Thanks fellas. Glad we are on the same sort of track here.