Author Topic: White Album  (Read 369 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: White Album
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 06:21:43 PM »
It's got a lot of great songs on it!

Yes, lots of good songs, but remember it's a double album. The White Album is weighed down by the tensions that ultimately leaded to the break-up. Each of the 3 songwriters embrace his own path discarding a true joint effort, and so the result is self indulgent and pales when compared to any of the previous Beatles LPs, even to the first, hotchpotch ones. In fact, there was only one remaining masterpiece for them to make, Abbey Road (not too high in my list, but still a masterpiece).

But hey, we're talking about Lennon, McCartney and Harrison close to the peak of their songwriting powers: Back in the USSR, Julia, While my guitar..., Cry baby cry, Helter Skelter (the Manson anthem), Sexy sadie, Blackbird... Top stuff! If only Brian Epstein had been alive to discipline their egos, we'd have a single White Album up there with their best LPs... and a lot of demos to make more money with the reissues!  ;D

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »
It's got a lot of great songs on it!

Yes, lots of good songs, but remember it's a double album. The White Album is weighed down by the tensions that ultimately leaded to the break-up. Each of the 3 songwriters embrace his own path discarding a true joint effort, and so the result is self indulgent and pales when compared to any of the previous Beatles LPs, even to the first, hotchpotch ones. In fact, there was only one remaining masterpiece for them to make, Abbey Road (not too high in my list, but still a masterpiece).

But hey, we're talking about Lennon, McCartney and Harrison close to the peak of their songwriting powers: Back in the USSR, Julia, While my guitar..., Cry baby cry, Helter Skelter (the Manson anthem), Sexy sadie, Blackbird... Top stuff! If only Brian Epstein had been alive to discipline their egos, we'd have a single White Album up there with their best LPs... and a lot of demos to make more money with the reissues!  ;D

I would agree that While My Guitar, and Back in the USSR are indeed classics. The album was also written at a time of planetary political turmoil with the Vietnam war in full swing and demos in the US to match as two ideas collided, Northern Ireland was starting to kick off and there were Human Rights demos throughout the planet. Many felt the cold war was about to heat up etc. .l think the album reflects some of that too
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 10:15:20 AM »
Yeah, nothing of the "tea&acid", lysergic music-hall mood of Pepper's, more Paris may 68, divine gauche instead, but the Beatles' albums were always searching, restless affairs, I guess they got bored of them once in the can.