Author Topic: Dave Davies  (Read 871 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Dave Davies
« on: October 13, 2018, 10:49:28 AM »
This is likely to appeal just the most dedicated Kink-o-philes, but from what I've heard it's pretty decent stuff.

I'm talking about the last Dave Davies' comp, "Decade", made up of 13 unissued songs that Ray's brother recorded during the 70s (from 1971 to 1979, the year prior to his first proper album). Some of the tunes have been retouched recently by Dave and his son at the studio, but it isn't that apparent.

Of course, it's not in the same league as DD' 60s stuff ("Hidden treasures" is still the compilation to own), but as I said it's not half bad and as it's unlikely that 13 unreleased golden-era Kinks songs will appear in the next future, this will have to do.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/decade-mw0003203460

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Davies
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 12:25:54 PM »
Sounds interesting mate. I dobbed in to the KINKS photo/memorabilia exhibit off of The Strand last week. Basically a promo for the 'VILLAGE GREEN' re-issue and a chance for the gallery to sell some photos of the band from that period in frames etc. However well worth a visit for those in London area.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 03:55:51 PM »
Sounds interesting mate. I dobbed in to the KINKS photo/memorabilia exhibit off of The Strand last week. Basically a promo for the 'VILLAGE GREEN' re-issue and a chance for the gallery to sell some photos of the band from that period in frames etc. However well worth a visit for those in London area.

Would love to attend the exhibition. The deluxe versión of the reissue will be on many a Christmas list, I'm sure, it's got everything but the kitchen sink! I've got an 80s spanish reissue in vinyl, and almost every bonus track scattered among different comps, so I'll stick with them. I'll only miss this unreleased track, pure, beautiful, timeless Ray Davies;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOBjwkaW-T0

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 07:04:25 PM »

Col Wolfe

• East Anglia
    • View Profile
    • >>> Spoke Records <<<
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:58:05 PM »
Just nabbed tickets for this. Can't wait.

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/events/rough-trade-east-dave-davies-the-kinks

Dave replaced Ray at a similar ‘Village Green’ event at the John Peel Centre last week.  He was an absolute nightmare and very inept as a speaker/interviewee...

“What’s your favourite track on the LP?”

Dave:  “dunno...”

“How do you view this LP in comparison to other concept albums of the time?”

Dave:  “dunno...”

Etc.  Etc.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 08:35:06 AM »
Sad to hear it. Is that the respect and esteem in which they hold their masterpiece? On the other hand, well, everybody can have a bad day and Dave is of a certain age...

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 10:15:41 AM »
I know Dave is a bit of a wild card/loose cannon/call it what you will. To be honest that is almost something I am quite looking forward to see up close. Last time I saw him was with The Kinks when they played Alexandra Palace maybe 30 years back. He was a bit of a handful even then. Best make sure I am a good few rows back on Monday night.

Col Wolfe

• East Anglia
    • View Profile
    • >>> Spoke Records <<<
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 07:44:22 PM »
I know Dave is a bit of a wild card/loose cannon/call it what you will. To be honest that is almost something I am quite looking forward to see up close. Last time I saw him was with The Kinks when they played Alexandra Palace maybe 30 years back. He was a bit of a handful even then. Best make sure I am a good few rows back on Monday night.

Would be OK if he was shooting from the hip and being interestingly confrontational but it was more a case of being totally disinterested, unprepared and possibly confused by the whole thing. 

He also had a tiny ‘man bag’ that he was clinging onto for dear life.  My mate thought it may contain a colostomy bag.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 10:41:02 AM »
I remember a few years back there was a KINKS documentary he was on and to be honest seemed like a mad old lady. He even fell over and down a ditch at one point. Shame seeing as how great he played and looked back in the 1960s heyday of the band. I will report in next week though.

Col Wolfe

• East Anglia
    • View Profile
    • >>> Spoke Records <<<
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 01:03:01 AM »
I remember a few years back there was a KINKS documentary he was on and to be honest seemed like a mad old lady. He even fell over and down a ditch at one point. Shame seeing as how great he played and looked back in the 1960s heyday of the band. I will report in next week though.

Yeah he’s a complicated guy.  Will be interesting to see how he was at the Rough Trade night.