Author Topic: 40 yr MOT exemption  (Read 442 times)

Essexmark

• Just joined
    • View Profile
40 yr MOT exemption
« on: October 29, 2018, 01:27:34 PM »
Hello all. So finally have my first road going scooter since 1989, a 1965 LI125 with 200cc Gori upgrade, 12v electrics, 26 mm dellorto and Franspeed exhaust. According to the MOT exemption rules nothing considered as substantial changes. I have been to post office today to re-tax the scooter and as it is an historic tax class on logbook no tax to pay. However when I tried to declare the scooter as ineligble for MOT, the clerk stated that I needed to send the form V112 direct to DVLA. This seems to fly in the face of online advice and that it should be done at the point you re-tax the vehicle. Any ideas what you need to do? Cheers

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: 40 yr MOT exemption
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 03:06:02 PM »
I don't think you need to declare the vehicle as being over 40 as it already is.  The reg doc proves that.  The DVLA would not allow you to tax it without an mot if it didn't already realise that it is mot exempt.
All my stuff is over 40 and I've never declared it as ineligible for mot, it just is.
I'm no expert and tend to ignore as much red tape as possible so I could be missing something, but if you can get it taxed then it should all be ok (I think).

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 03:38:08 PM »
Maybe there was a box to tick on the "online" re taxing that I clicked to declare it was mot exempt?  I probably wasn't paying attention as usual.

Essexmark

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 05:12:40 PM »
Adam, thanks mate. However my understanding is that you have to declare it as outside MOT requirements, and just because it is over 40 yrs old isn't enough. The rules are as clear as mud tbh. Just look at what constitutes substantial changes is wide open! I think the only time you can confirm is at the point of re-taxing and therefore the clerk at the PO should have accepted the V112 form. Imho Adam I would be careful riding without the declaration completed and having no MOT. Insurers will look for any reason not to pay out...

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 10:25:09 AM »
Appreciate the concern Mark.  I'll keep a better check on my paperwork.  Over the last 35 years on two wheels I've managed to get away with most stuff. Took my test on a 200, been out riding and lent a mate a scooter that we realised had the same number plate on, got pulled and realised I had no frame numbers on the bike and still remove my helmet on country roads in the good weather (sometimes).
But as you say, things are getting a bit tougher so I shall take your advise and check my papers.  ;)

Essexmark

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 05:58:24 PM »
Appreciate the concern Mark.  I'll keep a better check on my paperwork.  Over the last 35 years on two wheels I've managed to get away with most stuff. Took my test on a 200, been out riding and lent a mate a scooter that we realised had the same number plate on, got pulled and realised I had no frame numbers on the bike and still remove my helmet on country roads in the good weather (sometimes).
But as you say, things are getting a bit tougher so I shall take your advise and check my papers.  ;)
No worries Adam, good stories there mate.