Author Topic: THE ACOUSTIC EGG BOX TOP 20 ALBUMS OF 2018  (Read 380 times)

ianeggbert

• Vintage becoming veteran
    • View Profile
    • The Acoustic Egg Box
THE ACOUSTIC EGG BOX TOP 20 ALBUMS OF 2018
« on: January 02, 2019, 11:57:07 PM »
Evening all!

For any of you who are interested, here’s a link to my blog page with the full list (plus a link to a Spotify playlist) of my own personal Top 20 Albums of 2018.

http://theacousticeggbox.com/2019/01/02/2018-the-acoustic-egg-box-top-20-albums-of-the-year/

I hope you enjoy it and there are some albums in there that you think are worthy of discovery.

Best wishes and a Happy New Year to you all

Ian
It's not the cost of the suit that counts, it's the worth of the man inside it

Twitter: @IanPople1

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
Re: THE ACOUSTIC EGG BOX TOP 20 ALBUMS OF 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 05:06:45 PM »
Brilliant as usual Ian,

Got a good few on the list. Heard some isolated tracks of another few and am just about to dive in and get to know the rest to see what floats my boat. It's good to get an informed opinion on new music. There's so much out there now.

Bang on with Weller at 1 also. It's a remarkable piece of work.

Good work fella,think you and Monkey should start up your own mag.👍😊

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 06:52:59 PM »
Evening all!

For any of you who are interested, here’s a link to my blog page with the full list (plus a link to a Spotify playlist) of my own personal Top 20 Albums of 2018.

http://theacousticeggbox.com/2019/01/02/2018-the-acoustic-egg-box-top-20-albums-of-the-year/

I hope you enjoy it and there are some albums in there that you think are worthy of discovery.

Best wishes and a Happy New Year to you all

Ian

Happy New Year to you too, Ian. I've been away a few days but I hope to cope with the whole list this weekend. Good work, mate!

midnight mover

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 10:56:55 PM »
Great to to see Weller at #1, Ian! Loved the last two proper albums, but "True Meanings" is even better.
Last year your list list made me see a wonderful Bette Smith gig I wouldn't have attended otherwise. So I will have to check the stuff I don't know again...
Anyway here's my top 10,if you don't mind:

1. ROLLING BLACKOUTS C. F. – Hope Downs
2. PAUL WELLER – True Meanings
3. MARISSA NADLER – For My Crimes
4. STICK IN THE WHEEL – Follow Me True
5. THE FERNWEH – S/T
6. ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS – Look Now
7. MICHAEL RAULT – It's A New Day Tonight
8. GOAT GIRL – Goat Girl
9. THE MOURNING AFTER – The 10th Century
10. THE SENIOR SERVICE – King Cobra

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 09:37:14 AM »
Well, I’ve finally managed to climb to the top of Ian’s list. First of all, kudos to him for putting the fabled Top 20 together, as it’s as good a selection of contemporary pop/rock/soul as any.

The fact I don’t own any of the listed records paints a picture of me as a hermit enclosed in its 60s aural cave, but that wouldn’t be the whole truth. In fact, I’ve listened to a few of the records and had references of others (for instance, Father John Misty is the last rage among my sussed out friends).

To make a long story short, the albums I’ll possibly buy from Ian’s list are, in no particular order (subjectivity alert !!) :

The Fernweh : The most obviously 60s-tinged album of the list, they craft a fine take (not copy, thanks God) on the tricky early Fairport Convention’s sound. BTW, this is a good companion piece to the Judy Dyble/Andy Lewis masterpiece of 2017, and has leaded me to the last Judy Dyble album, which while not as good as her collaboration with Lewis (it’s altogether more traditional and safe) treasures a handful of great, moving songs.

Babelsberg : Maybe the best of the lot (IMHO), as it masters a fine balance between great, catchy songs, unobtrusive production (the orchestral arrangements are more useful than showy) and a propulsive, joyous beat that contrast with the dark lyrics. No filler here, either, every song has its charms.

Insecure men : Too eclectic for its own sake, but good, (not so) clean fun nonetheless. It’s just me or is there a hint of Brian Wilson in the mix somewhere ?

Jonathan Jeremiah : I get the John Martyn connection, also Hazlewood and Jimmy Webb, but I hear also a light-hearted, less baroque Kiwanuka here. Not a masterpiece (like most records of the list, it lacks distinctive enough, life-changing songs), but he’s on the right path.

Love in the Modern Age : If I was 80s-obsessed instead of 60s-obsessed, this will be the disc at the top of my list. Either way, what a great songwriter Josh Rouse is !

Tracyanne & Danny : On paper, this album has got everything going for it : two fine singers and a beautiful sound, half country half bittersweet Brill Building pop. But to achieve a masterpiece you need unforgettable songs too, and while there’s no shortage of good songs here, it could have been so much better… Maybe next time.

Weller’s album left me unimpressed on first hearing, but I promise I’ll give it another spin soon. More to my tastes was the Stone Foundation album, a solid, mature record. And as an old stalwart of mister Costello, I’m sure I’ll end up buying his Imposters’ record.

The rest of the list...  well, everything has its merits and its flaws. Take for instance the Wooden Shjips fifth album, full of decent songs in the mould of Quicksilver Messenger Service or the Grateful Dead, but marred by an uncredited vacuum cleaner player (God bless the Jesus and Mary Chain !) that certainly detracts from the enjoyment.

Anyway, a big thank you for your effort, Ian, and please watch out this year’s harvest while we return to the vaults to dig the latest « mod jazz » comp or whatever. After all, you’re my go-to critic when it comes to « now » sounds, and that’s a huge responsibility !  ;)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 10:40:08 PM »
Great to to see Weller at #1, Ian! Loved the last two proper albums, but "True Meanings" is even better.
Last year your list list made me see a wonderful Bette Smith gig I wouldn't have attended otherwise. So I will have to check the stuff I don't know again...
Anyway here's my top 10,if you don't mind:

1. ROLLING BLACKOUTS C. F. – Hope Downs
2. PAUL WELLER – True Meanings
3. MARISSA NADLER – For My Crimes
4. STICK IN THE WHEEL – Follow Me True
5. THE FERNWEH – S/T
6. ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS – Look Now
7. MICHAEL RAULT – It's A New Day Tonight
8. GOAT GIRL – Goat Girl
9. THE MOURNING AFTER – The 10th Century
10. THE SENIOR SERVICE – King Cobra

I wasn't going to buy True Meanings due to my disapointment with a Kind Revolution , which I felt was mainly due to it sounded like his voice wasn't up to it anymore , so l spent most of the time listening to the instrumental versions , however True Meaning is a better album and is better produced in my opinion . It sounds great on my HiFi at any rate . . :)
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 09:29:38 PM »
stellar work there Ian , another annual list that I am really enjoying playing/streaming through. Being a fellow 6music listener your diverse choices and write ups really make for a essential listen, of those new to me Israel Nash has become a favourite. hoping 2019 is also sunny side up !

ianeggbert

• Vintage becoming veteran
    • View Profile
    • The Acoustic Egg Box
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 07:22:20 AM »
Aww you guys!

I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone who has read and (hopefully!) enjoyed my Top 20 for 2018. We all love our music, and if my ramblings mean that you get to hear new songs or artists that would otherwise have passed you by, then this makes it all worthwhile.

And thank you also to Midnight Mover for posting his own Top 10 as there were albums in that list that were new to me too.

Cheers

Ian

It's not the cost of the suit that counts, it's the worth of the man inside it

Twitter: @IanPople1