Author Topic: Blue Note turns 80  (Read 419 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Blue Note turns 80
« on: January 10, 2019, 04:48:14 PM »
... And here are their plans to celebrate the anniversary properly (beware vinyl lovers):

http://www.bluenote.com/news/blue-note-80th-anniversary-celebrations

These Reid Miles' framed prints look pretty cool, but they're ultra-expensive (a limited edition, it seems) and can only be shipped stateside:

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/collections/wall-art/products/lee-morgan-framed-canvas-art?variant=15643977842758

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Note turns 80
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 05:35:31 PM »
At last a confirmed date for the BluRay/DVD edition of Sophie Huber's documentary about the legendary jazz label: september.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 11:05:23 AM »
They screened the film over the weekend here as part of the annual "Concert of Colors". the current president of Blue Note, Don Was, introduced the film and did a Q and A. He also puts together an "all star" band as part of the concert. This year they did a 60th anniversary tribute to Motown with Dennis Coffey, Martha Reeves, the original members of the Velvettes... unfortunately they staged it in a 1100 seat theater and a few hundred of us were locked out!  :-\
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 06:24:57 PM »
They screened the film over the weekend here as part of the annual "Concert of Colors". the current president of Blue Note, Don Was, introduced the film and did a Q and A. He also puts together an "all star" band as part of the concert. This year they did a 60th anniversary tribute to Motown with Dennis Coffey, Martha Reeves, the original members of the Velvettes... unfortunately they staged it in a 1100 seat theater and a few hundred of us were locked out!  :-\

Sorry to hear that, Mike, but great stuff anyway. Did you watch the documentary then, and if so what are your thoughts about it? Judging by the trailer it looks like essential viewing.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 10:01:57 PM »
I opted to see live music during the showing, I figured I could catch it on DVD when it comes out 8)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 09:28:38 AM »
I opted to see live music during the showing, I figured I could catch it on DVD when it comes out 8)

Well done, pal, you did the right choice.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile