Author Topic: American trip  (Read 1588 times)

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
Re: American trip
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 04:34:46 PM »
They huv a shop in Greenwich Village n'aw.  Or did when ah wis there a few years ago anyway.

You mean Goorin right? I think there’s only one JJs.

There’s another decent hat shop in the west village -  City Hats IIRC - on Bleeker I think. Been a while since I was in New York but hoping to get some sites there on my next project. Great for me and my wardrobe,  or so great for my wallet!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 04:53:19 PM »
They huv a shop in Greenwich Village n'aw.  Or did when ah wis there a few years ago anyway.

There’s another decent hat shop in the west village -  City Hats IIRC - on Bleeker I think. Been a while since I was in New York but hoping to get some sites there on my next project. Great for me and my wardrobe,  or so great for my wallet!

JJ is i the 5th avenue.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 07:39:09 PM »

Aye Goorin.

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 06:36:24 PM »
tied the knot in Vegas (8yrs ago) and visited the branded shopping outlet nr old town/top of the strip, cannot remember all the shops but there was a Levis , so cheap we bought 2 pair jeans each + various t shirts etc.. hopefully still trading.

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 02:24:59 PM »
There’s loads of Goorins. I’ve been to the one on Royale Street in New Orleans and if you’re going to Vegas there’s one in that little side street that leads from the strip down to the entrance to the giant ‘London Eye’ thingy. A lot of their hats are indeed ‘supposed’ to be crushable but I’d be careful stuffing them in a suitcase for a long haul flight too!

Good to see JJs mentioned on Fifth Ave in New York. I met my mate in NYC in August 2002 to see The Who right after Entwhistle died. Got my first Panama there during that trip and wore it home. They now do them in several colours (‘Bowery’ style) and five more! I love that place!

Any good hat shops in Florida Rod,I'm over in the summer again. Staying near Orlando

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2019, 09:38:03 PM »
There’s loads of Goorins. I’ve been to the one on Royale Street in New Orleans and if you’re going to Vegas there’s one in that little side street that leads from the strip down to the entrance to the giant ‘London Eye’ thingy. A lot of their hats are indeed ‘supposed’ to be crushable but I’d be careful stuffing them in a suitcase for a long haul flight too!

Good to see JJs mentioned on Fifth Ave in New York. I met my mate in NYC in August 2002 to see The Who right after Entwhistle died. Got my first Panama there during that trip and wore it home. They now do them in several colours (‘Bowery’ style) and five more! I love that place!

Any good hat shops in Florida Rod,I'm over in the summer again. Staying near Orlando

I think I’ve bought all my hats in New York except one I got when I was at a conference in San Diego. Shopping isn’t great in the state where you’re considered dressed up if you have long strides on.

Anyway Disney is exactly 90 minutes to our house so get yourself over - remember we are 30 minutes to Clearwater which won Best Beach on Tripadvisor. We have plenty room if you want to kip over.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2019, 12:39:39 PM »
There ye go Woody - first visit the Orlando Celtic Supporters club at the Lucky Leprechaun in Orlando. 

Then bring aw the bhoys n' ghirls ower tae Rod's hoose fur an aw niter party.  (Buckfast optional).

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2019, 01:55:48 PM »
Give me an idea how many are coming so I can know how much haggis, porridge, neeps and deep fried Mars Bars to lay in.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 04:01:14 PM »
OK thanks, looks like we have just 1 night the same in SF. Could meet up for a beer if you like.
That sounds nice! I get in that evening on the 8th, but I'll ping on here to see if you are available.
Initials B.B.

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 10:22:56 PM »
OK thanks, looks like we have just 1 night the same in SF. Could meet up for a beer if you like.
That sounds nice! I get in that evening on the 8th, but I'll ping on here to see if you are available.

Just at the bottom end of Market Street is an Irish bar called Foleys that does decent pub food. There’s also a canny restaurant nearby (John’s?) olde worlde wood panelled place with pictures of Sinatra et al on the wall and the menu claims that Dashiell Hammet used to scran there while he was writing The Maltese Falcon. Worst city I’ve ever been in for panhandlers so watch your step.