Author Topic: Fred Perry reissues  (Read 12109 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Fred Perry reissues
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2020, 02:04:42 AM »
Like the henleys, I stop wearing my FPs since they've been commandeered by RW hate groups in the US lately...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2020, 09:51:15 AM »
Like the henleys, I stop wearing my FPs since they've been commandeered by RW hate groups in the US lately...

Sorry to hear that, Mike, a shame that kind of association prevent you from wearing a brand we like. That was the case here some years ago, but fortunately not anymore. BTW I love the henley too

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2020, 11:09:09 AM »

Sorry to hear that, Mike, a shame that kind of association prevent you from wearing a brand we like. That was the case here some years ago, but fortunately not anymore. BTW I love the henley too

They prefer the black w/ gold tipping polos. There's also another neo nazi group that were wearing chinos and BD shirts, and even another armed fringe group that identifies itself with Hawaiian print shirts...
It's crazy times now in the States, I hate to say.
That said, I bought the white/black tipped henley ;) Hopefully no group other than "California Surfers" will take up that look!

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2020, 04:30:58 PM »

Ah raised the issue ay the Proud Boys adoptin' the black n' gold FPs as thir "uniform" some time ago oan this very forum.

Thought it wis only that colour combo that had the fascist associations tho'?

Ah know committed UK anti-fascists that sport FPs quite regularly. 

Also follow a bloke fae NY oan instagram wha's a "person of colour" but wears FP aw the time.

Ah'm willin' tae reluctantly concede a particular colour ay the polo shirts, but no the entire brand!

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2020, 05:11:52 PM »
I don’t like black with gold FPs, otherwise I’d be tempted to get one and wear it frequently as a one-man ‘take it back’ crusade against these arseholes.
Same way the St George and Union flags have been co-opted and corrupted by right wing morons, it just makes me want to wear them even more. If people from a distance want to think I’m in that bracket then that’s their lookout. If they take a moment to get to know me they’ll quickly learn I detest everything they stand for.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2020, 05:17:34 PM »

Ah raised the issue ay the Proud Boys adoptin' the black n' gold FPs as thir "uniform" some time ago oan this very forum.

Thought it wis only that colour combo that had the fascist associations tho'?

Ah know committed UK anti-fascists that sport FPs quite regularly. 

Also follow a bloke fae NY oan instagram wha's a "person of colour" but wears FP aw the time.

Ah'm willin' tae reluctantly concede a particular colour ay the polo shirts, but no the entire brand!

Not a political association willingly pursued by the brand themselves so it's a bit unfair to veto not just the brand stuff, but even specific garments as the infamous "black w. gold piping" polo (I had many years ago a "black w. white piping one" and a couple fellas just asked me if I was a mod  ;D).

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2020, 05:21:26 PM »

They prefer the black w/ gold tipping polos. There's also another neo nazi group that were wearing chinos and BD shirts, and even another armed fringe group that identifies itself with Hawaiian print shirts...
That said, I bought the white/black tipped henley ;) Hopefully no group other than "California Surfers" will take up that look!

Good choice, Mike! I'm pondering the navy henley (I've got a similar white one by JPress) but I find it overpriced.

The fascist group with chinos and BDs really worries me, is there nothing sacred? Or are they subtly reclaiming the American WASP Ivy League heritage?

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2020, 05:43:22 PM »
Syd I think it was an intentional move towards a sort of norm core look to take the focus of them so they could go about their nefarious ways under the radar, rather than the obvious attention garnered by skinhead types.
Something similar happened in England in the nineties with football hooligans which I mentioned on here recently. The cops we’re still looking for low SES skinheads when the real perpetrators were semi-yuppies in Pringle jumpers and Farrah slacks getting to the away games by inter city train not by bus.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2020, 09:16:37 PM »

Good choice, Mike! I'm pondering the navy henley (I've got a similar white one by JPress) but I find it overpriced.

The fascist group with chinos and BDs really worries me, is there nothing sacred? Or are they subtly reclaiming the American WASP Ivy League heritage?

I think they're coming up with  "uniform", FP's  are not very common in the US, The Chino's and BD's them an air of "respectability" next to the people they hate (African Americans, Anti Facist "hippies").
Also the henley price includes tax AND shipping, so I can say I probably saved $20 off the total.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2020, 09:30:26 AM »

I think they're coming up with  "uniform", FP's  are not very common in the US, The Chino's and BD's them an air of "respectability" next to the people they hate (African Americans, Anti Facist "hippies").

This has reminded me of the reverse attitude embraced by Miles Davis and other black jazz musicians in the mid-50s, adapting to their sartorial needs the "establishment" Ivy League look then prevalent among the white middle-upper classes as a means of subversion.